I’m my own man, insists Van Niekerk
LONDON: Wayde van Niekerk says he is building his own “image and brand” and doesn’t want to be tagged as the successor to track and field legends Usain Bolt and Michael Johnson.
The 25-year-old South African 400 metres world record holder just missed out on emulating Johnson’s feat of the 200/400m world championship double, which the American achieved in the 1995 championships, when he took silver in the 200 metres on Thursday behind Ramil Guliyev of Turkey.
He had successfully defended his 400m world title earlier in the week.
Nevertheless, van Niekerk, who was unusually emotional after the race, raising his arms in celebration when he heard he had finished second, said he believed his effort had been “successful”.
However, he dismissed comparisons with either Johnson — whose 400m world record the South African shattered when he won the Olympic title last year — or 100/200m world record holder Bolt.
“I will never try and fill Usain’s shoes, or Michael’s,” said van Niekerk.
“I’ve shown enough dominance, hard work and performances to start building my own image and brand.
“I have the utmost respect for Usain. This week is the perfect time for us to honour him.” However, van Niekerk tore up the script with regard to his normal generous and complimentary remarks about his rivals when it came to Botswana’s Isaac Makawala, who made allusions to the South African and the sport’s governing body colluding to have him barred from the 400m so the double dream could stay alive. “To be honest with you it really did upset me a bit,” said van Niekerk. —AFP
-
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage