Health ministry, law officer’s comments sought on plea against production, sale of gutka
The Sindh High Court on Wednesday directed the provincial law officer, the health ministry and others to submit comments on a petition against selling and manufacturing of gutka in the metropolis.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Muzammil Mumtaz seeking a ban on the manufacture and sale of gutka (a stimulant made from crushed areca nut, catechu, paraffin wax and staked lime) and mainpuri (a mix of tobacco and crushed areca nut) in Karachi.
The court had earlier ordered the Sindh IGP and others to ensure effective and strict enforcement of restrictions imposed on the preparation, manufacturing and selling of gutka and mainpuri throughout the province.
The petitioner had submitted that the health of a large number of citizens had been gravely endangered due to the consumption of substandard gutka and mainpuri despite imposition of a ban by the provincial government.
He said the health department had also mentioned in its comments that the consumption of gutka and mainpuri could cause oral cancer but still the manufacturing and selling of such hazardous products had been going on due to negligence of the food department.
He alleged that manufacturers of gutka and mainpuri were being supported by police and no action was being taken against them.
In his comments submitted to the high court, SSP Korangi said police had registered 184 cases in his district during the last four years against gutka manufacturers and sellers. He said 441 accused were nominated and 182 cases were registers that were pending before trial courts. The court directed the petitioner to implead the health ministry as a party in the petition and issued notices to ministry of health and other unserved respondents to file comments in the petition.
Forest land
The Supreme Court directed the district and sessions judge of Thatta to submit a report regarding encroachment on forest lands in Thatta and Sajwal.
The Sindh government submitted in its petition that private respondents were encroaching on forest lands. The provincial law officer sought time to file comments with regard to encroachment on government land. The court directed the district and sessions judge of Thatta to submit a report within two weeks after inspection of the land allegedly occupied by the private respondents.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025