Musharraf attack convict released, court told
LAHORE
Punjab Prisons Department on Thursday informed the Lahore High Court that a man convicted by a military court in 2003 Musharraf attack case had been released two weeks ago.
A provincial law officer furnished a report of Sahiwal high security jail before the court and stated that the authorities released the convict, Adnan Khan, on February 4 on completion of his sentence.
However, the convict’s mother contradicted the report and told the court that her son did not reach home. With tears rolling down on her cheeks, Saira Khan said the jail authorities had not intimated the family about the release of Adnan.
She alleged that the prisons department had filed a false report.
Anyhow, Justice Shahid Hameed Dar disposed of the contempt of court petition in the light of the department’s report.
Saira Khan had filed the petition through Advocate Mujahid Waseem seeking action against the jail authorities for not releasing his son as directed by single bench.
The counsel stated that the court directed the jail authorities to recalculate sentence of Adnan, including government amnesties/remissions awarded to him and fix his probable release date.
The mother of the convict had filed a habeas corpus petition challenging detention of his son despite completion of sentence in former president retired Gen Pervez Musharraf attack case.
Petitioner’s counsel Mujahid Waseem had contended that the convict had undergone jail term handed down by a military court but the authorities were delaying his release.
He said military court awarded 15-year punishment to Khan but did not give him benefit of reduction of imprisonment under Section 382-B of Cr.P.C.
The lawyer said detention of the convict was illegal as he had undergone his sentence.
A single bench of the high court in Rawalpindi had dismissed a petition of the convict to this effect, however, a division bench later allowed his intra-court appeal directing the jail authorities to impart him benefit of Section 382-B of Cr.P.C and other government remissions.
The former president had escaped a life attack on Dec 14, 2003 near Jhanda Chichi bridge, Rawalpindi.
bail: The Lahore High Court on Thursday granted bail to former human resource director of Gujranwala Electric Supply Company (Gepco) in an illegal appointment case being investigated by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB).
A division bench headed by Justice Ali Baqar Najafi allowed the bail petition of Hashmat Ali Kazmi subject to furnishing two surety bonds of Rs 500,000 each.
Kazmi through counsel contended that the Supreme Court released former managing director of Pepco in the same case for poor investigation.
He said the petitioner also deserved the same relief. The National Accountability Bureau counsel opposed the plea and said the petitioner was found guilty in the investigation.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years