SHC disposes of plea as CS insists no adviser exercising ministerial powers
The Sindh High Court on Wednesday disposed of a petition that challenged exercise of powers by the adviser to chief minister on labour and human resources in the affairs of the Sindh Employees Social Security Institution (SESSI). The court based its decision on a categorical statement made by the chief secretary that none of the chief minister’s advisers were exercising executive authority or powers of ministers in violation of an order of the court. The petition had been filed by Abdul Sattar Niazi, an activist of the Pakistan Mazdoor Ittehad trade union, in early December against the exercise of executive authority in SESSI’s matters by the chief minister’s adviser, Senator Saeed Ghani. On December 6 the high court had restrained the adviser from exercising any executive authority or chairing meetings of SESSI. Chief Secretary Rizwan Memon submitted a reply to the show-cause notice issued over the petitioner’s allegation that Senator Ghani had called a meeting of SESSI’s governing body as its chairman and was running the affairs of the institution. Memon said that directions had been again issued to all administrative secretaries to comply with the orders of the court, mentioning that none of the advisers was exercising the executive authority or powers of ministers. He further said that Ghani had not presided over any meeting of SESSI, as alleged by the petitioner. The provincial advocate general said that the court orders would be implemented in letter and spirit. A division bench, headed by Chief Justice Sajjad Ali Shah, then disposed of the petition. Wine shops The Sindh High Court granted more time to the provincial government to explain whether or not the licences of wineshops had been issued under the relevant rules and regulations. The court directed the advocate general to file comments with regard to the need for wine consumption by non-Muslims as part of their religious festivals. The directive came at a hearing of identical petitions against issuing licences to wine shop retailers in Muslim-populated areas of Karachi and Thatta. The petitioners, including Irfan Ali Bikak, Bushra Ibrahim and Shaharyar David, had assailed the issuance of wine shop licences to retailers by the excise and taxation department, and submitted that wine shops were being allowed to operate in Muslim-populated areas in violation of the law. Representatives of the Hindu and Sikh communities also filed applications seeking a ban on the sale and manufacturing of wine. Lawyers representing the owners of wine shops contended that the consumption of liquor was not prohibited in the religions of Christians and Hindus. They argued that in light of the provisions of the Hudood Ordinance 1979 the Muslims could neither produce nor sell or consume liquor. However, the law did not prohibit its production and sale to religious minorities, they added. One of the petitioners, Ramesh Kumar Vankvani, insisted that the consumption of liquor was prohibited in Christianity and Hinduism. However, he alleged that liquor was being sold in the name of non-Muslims just to defame them. Citing an example, the petitioner pointed out that one wine shop was being run adjacent to a mosque in Clifton’s Block-5. The court asked the advocate general to explain under what law licences to operate wine shops were issued by the excise and taxation department. It also inquired as to whether the government had carried out the exercise to see the ratio of Muslims and non- Muslims in those areas where liquor was being sold. The advocate general requested time to file comments on behalf of the provincial government. Allowing the request, the bench directed him to file comments by January 23. At a previous hearing, the court had observed that there was no provision under Section 17 of the Prohibition (enforcement of Hadd) Order 1979 for creating a legal possibility for granting general licences to liquor shops to operate throughout the year.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’