FIH decision unfortunate, setback to Pakistan hockey: PHF
KARACHI: Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) said on Thursday it was extremely disappointed over International Hockey Federation’s (FIH) decision to exclude Pakistan from the Junior World Cup, scheduled to start from December 8 in the Indian city of Lucknow.
This was the first official reaction from PHF since FIH’s announcement of expelling Pakistan.
FIH said PHF had failed to meet the official deadline for submitting the travel documents of its players. The game’s world governing body announced Malaysia as a replacement for Pakistan in the tournament.
“This version of the FIH is completely baseless as the PHF had submitted Visa Application Forms along with the relevant documents pertaining to visa formalities well in time on October 24,” PHF said.
“The No Objection Certificate from the government of Pakistan had also been obtained on time but still India did not issue visas to the Pakistan’s contingent.
“Ironically, India is ready to provide visa to the Malaysian team, who have replaced Pakistan, in three-days. When Pakistan hockey team last visited India, for the SAF games in February this years, the Visa had been issued within two weeks of submission,” PHF said.
PHF was ready to send the team despite the tension along the Line of Control between Pakistan and India. PHF said it had not even asked for any special security for the squad in India.
“This unfortunate decision of the FIH is a great setback to Pakistan hockey. Since, Pakistan couldn’t qualify for the last Olympics (2016) and the Senior World Cup (2014), this Junior World Cup was the main event for Pakistan hockey. For last year and a half, a lot of efforts and resources had been spent towards the training of the junior team. The side made two preparatory tours of Europe this summer. The improvement is very much there to be seen. Pakistan juniors who had ended 6th in the 2015 Sultan of Johor Cup surprised everyone by playing the final of the same event in 2016.
“Despite its limited resources, the PHF had spent around Rs100 million for the preparation of this junior squad. All this has now gone down the drain. The junior boys who had been looking forward to appear in the biggest event of their life are in a state of shock. Pakistan hockey was banking on this bunch of players for the revival of its fortunes. This unjust act has pushed our hockey back a few years,” PHF added.
-
Rihanna 38th Birthday Detail Breaks The Internet, Featuring Unexpected Huge Item -
Liza Minnelli Recalls Rare Backstage Memory With Mum Judy Garland In New Memoir -
Armed Intruder Shot Dead At Trump's Mar-a-Lago Residence: US Secret Service -
Total Lunar Eclipse: What You Need To Know And Where To Watch -
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland