Nishikori trying to focus on his tennis
BRISBANE: Japanese tennis star Kei Nishikori says he is trying hard not to get too distracted by outside commitments following his breakthrough year in 2014.The 25-year-old Nishikori last year became the first Asian male to play in a Grand Slam final when he reached that round at the US Open,
By our correspondents
January 07, 2015
BRISBANE: Japanese tennis star Kei Nishikori says he is trying hard not to get too distracted by outside commitments following his breakthrough year in 2014.
The 25-year-old Nishikori last year became the first Asian male to play in a Grand Slam final when he reached that round at the US Open, where he fell to Croatian Marin Cilic.
He won four titles during the year, climbed to a career-high ranking of five and qualified for the year-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London, where he reached the semi-finals.
Nishikori, speaking ahead of his first match at the season-opening Brisbane International, said there were now far more demands on his time than in previous years.
“Outside (tennis) it is really changing around me,” he said.
“It’s really different, you know. A lot of media stuff, especially in Japan. I feel more attention.”
While Nishikori said he was becoming more comfortable with his outside commitments, especially the Japanese ones, he said he was determined not to let it affect his tennis.
“I try to play good tennis all the time. For me, it’s always the same — do whatever I can,” he said.
Nishikori said his efforts at the US Open had given him enormous belief in his own abilities.
“I have more confidence than before, especially because I won two tournaments after the US Open and played great in London too,” he said.
“So I had a great season last year. I had a great preparation in Florida this off-season.
“I think I am doing really well. I think the first couple of tournaments of the year are very important for me to gain a little more confidence and stay at this ranking all the time.”
Nishikori said his 2015 goals would be similar to those from last year.
“You know, do well in the Grand Slams, maybe to get to semis or final if I can,” he said.
“Maybe to win a Masters (tournament)— that’s the next goal for me.” Nishikori opens his tournament on Wednesday (today) against American Steve Johnson.
The 25-year-old Nishikori last year became the first Asian male to play in a Grand Slam final when he reached that round at the US Open, where he fell to Croatian Marin Cilic.
He won four titles during the year, climbed to a career-high ranking of five and qualified for the year-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London, where he reached the semi-finals.
Nishikori, speaking ahead of his first match at the season-opening Brisbane International, said there were now far more demands on his time than in previous years.
“Outside (tennis) it is really changing around me,” he said.
“It’s really different, you know. A lot of media stuff, especially in Japan. I feel more attention.”
While Nishikori said he was becoming more comfortable with his outside commitments, especially the Japanese ones, he said he was determined not to let it affect his tennis.
“I try to play good tennis all the time. For me, it’s always the same — do whatever I can,” he said.
Nishikori said his efforts at the US Open had given him enormous belief in his own abilities.
“I have more confidence than before, especially because I won two tournaments after the US Open and played great in London too,” he said.
“So I had a great season last year. I had a great preparation in Florida this off-season.
“I think I am doing really well. I think the first couple of tournaments of the year are very important for me to gain a little more confidence and stay at this ranking all the time.”
Nishikori said his 2015 goals would be similar to those from last year.
“You know, do well in the Grand Slams, maybe to get to semis or final if I can,” he said.
“Maybe to win a Masters (tournament)— that’s the next goal for me.” Nishikori opens his tournament on Wednesday (today) against American Steve Johnson.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years