Bangladesh ex-PM Hasina in absentia gets six months in jail for contempt of court
DHAKA: Bangladesh’s ousted and self-exiled Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was sentenced to six months in prison by the country’s International Crimes Tribunal on Wednesday in a contempt of court case, a top prosecutor said.
Hasina has been facing multiple cases since she fled to India after deadly student-led protests in August, but it was the first time the former leader was sentenced in one of them.
Shakil Akand Bulbul, a leader of the Awami League party’s banned student wing Chhatra League, was also sentenced to two months in prison in the same case, Chief Prosecutor Muhammad Tajul Islam told reporters. The party had been led by Hasina for years.
A three-member ICT tribunal, led by Justice Golam Mortuza Mozumder, delivered the verdict in their absence, noting that the sentences will take effect upon arrest or surrender, the prosecutor added.
The contempt charges stem from a leaked phone recording where Hasina was allegedly heard saying, “there are 227 cases against me, so I now have a licence to kill 227 people”.
A forensic report by a government investigative agency later confirmed the audio’s authenticity.
The ICT was originally set up in 2010 by Hasina’s own government to try 1971 war crimes.
Bangladesh’s interim administration, led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, pledged to hold leaders, including Hasina, accountable for rights abuses and corruption, including the crackdown on the student-led uprising last July that toppled Hasina’s regime.
The tribunal has so far issued three arrest warrants for Hasina, including charges of crimes against humanity linked to the July violence. Hasina’s Awami League party remains banned while trials continue against the party and its former leaders.
Supporters of Hasina dismiss the charges as politically motivated, but the interim government insists the trials are crucial for restoring accountability and rebuilding trust in Bangladesh’s democratic institutions.
-
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps