Eight dead as migrants forced off boat near Djibouti: IOM
By AFP
June 12, 2025
ADDIS ABABA: At least eight people died and 22 were missing after smugglers forced migrants to disembark from a boat in the Red Sea, the UN´s migration agency said on Wednesday.
The boat had around 150 passengers when it was stopped by the smugglers who were carrying them last Thursday, forcing them to disembark midway through their journey. “The passengers were left to swim for their lives in open water,” the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a statement. Each year, thousands of African migrants brave the “Eastern Route” across the Red Sea from Djibouti to Yemen in the hope of eventually reaching oil-rich Gulf countries.
Last year, the IOM recorded at least 558 deaths on the route, with 462 resulting from shipwrecks.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France