South Africa protests to US over first resettlement of white Afrikaners
JOHANNESBURG: South Africa had “expressed concern” to the United States after reports it will accept from next week the first white Afrikaners it had offered to resettle, the foreign ministry said on Friday.
US media reported on Thursday that Donald Trump´s administration plans to welcome the first group of white South Africans as early as Monday, after the US president accused Pretoria of “racial discrimination” against them.
The South African government had “expressed concerns with the information conveyed that the United States has commenced with processing alleged refugees from South Africa”, the foreign ministry said.
“We reiterate that allegations of discrimination are unfounded,” it said in a statement. “Moreover, even if there are allegations of discrimination, it is our view that these do not meet the threshold of persecution required under domestic and international refugee law.”
South African deputy foreign minister Alvin Botes had raised the concerns directly with his US counterpart Christopher Landau, it said. Relations between South Africa and the United States have nose-dived this year over a range of domestic and foreign policy issues, culminating in Washington´s expulsion of Pretoria´s ambassador in March.
“It is most regrettable that it appears that the resettlement of South Africans to the United States under the guise of being ´refugees´ is entirely politically motivated and designed to question South Africa´s constitutional democracy,” the foreign ministry said.
One of the sticking points is a land expropriation law signed in January that Trump has claimed would allow the South African government “to seize ethnic minority Afrikaners´ agricultural property without compensation”.
The government has stressed the new law only allows authorities to expropriate property without compensation in the public interest compensation and after efforts had been made to reach a fair agreement with the owner.
Trump, whose tycoon ally Elon Musk was born in South Africa, said in February he would prioritise access to a refugee programme “for Afrikaners in South Africa who are victims of unjust racial discrimination.”
This is despite his decision to halt refugee arrivals to the United States immediately after taking office in January. Trump said in March that any South African farmer and their families seeking to “flee” would have a “rapid pathway” to US citizenship.
Reports said afterwards that thousands of Afrikaners had approached the US embassy in Pretoria about the offer. US investigative outlet The Lever quoted an April 30 memo saying that the first South Africans were scheduled to arrive “within a few days”.
-
Detective Chief Inspector Reveals How Andrew Got Treated In Police Custody -
Gemini 3.1 Pro Unveiled: Google’s Next-gen AI For Advanced Reasoning & Faster Enterprise Workflows -
Oprah Winfrey Talks About Weight-loss 'tool To Manage' Health -
Texas Emerges As World's Future Data Center Capital -
South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Issues Public Apology After Being Sentenced To Life Over Martial Law -
Eric Dane Recorded Episodes For The Third Season Of 'Euphoria' Before His Death From ALS Complications -
Inside Morning Of Andrew’s Arrest And How He Responded: ‘Do You Know Who I Am?’ -
OpenAI Sam Altman Predicts AI Superintelligence By 2028: Is Humanity Ready For A Turning Point? -
WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History To Ease Group Chats -
Tesla Expands Cybertruck Lineup With Affordable Model In US, Slashes Cyberbeast Price To Boost Demand -
AI Is Not As Powerful As We Think, Says Mathematician Hannah Fry -
How Andrew's Feeling Since His Arrest & Subsequent Release Amid Tech & Computers Seize -
Trump Officially Directs US Agencies To Identify And Release Files On Extraterrestrial Life -
2026 Winter Olympics: Alysa Liu Claims Gold, Snapping 20-year Drought For US Figure Skating -
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53