Nato says won’t let ‘security vacuum’ emerge in Bosnia

By AFP
March 11, 2025
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks as he meets members of the Bosnian tripartite presidency Zeljka Cvijanovic, Zeljko Komsic and Denis Becirevic, during a visit to Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina March 10, 2025. —Reuters
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks as he meets members of the Bosnian tripartite presidency Zeljka Cvijanovic, Zeljko Komsic and Denis Becirevic, during a visit to Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina March 10, 2025. —Reuters

SARAJEVO: Nato chief Mark Rutte on Monday threw support behind Bosnia´s federal government, which is locked in a power struggle with ethnic Serb leaders, saying the alliance would not allow a “security vacuum to emerge”

Tensions have soared since Bosnian Serb leader Milorad Dodik was convicted last month for defying Christian Schmidt, the high representative charged with overseeing the peace accords that ended Bosnia´s 1990s war.

Dodik, who leads Bosnia´s Republika Srpska (RS) statelet, has remained unrepentant after the conviction and helped oversee the passage of laws forbidding access to Bosnia´s Serb entity by the country´s federal police and judiciary.

The laws were later struck down by the constitutional court. Rutte landed in Sarajevo, as Dodik and Schmidt remained locked in their bitter feud with no clear path for de-escalation.

“This is not 1992 and we will not allow a security vacuum to emerge,” said the Nato secretary general at a press conference, referring to the year Bosnia´s bloody inter-ethnic war began. Rutte made the remarks following a meeting with the three members of Bosnia´s presidency in the capital Sarajevo and called on the trio to help end the ongoing political infighting.

“You have got to solve this, the three of you,” Rutte added. Since the end of Bosnia´s inter-ethnic war in the 1990s, the country has consisted of two autonomous halves -- the Serb-dominated RS and a Muslim-Croat region.