Bangladesh protesters raze buildings linked to Hasina Wajid
Dhaka says it had written to India demanding Hasina be barred from making “false, fabricated, and incendiary statements”
Dhaka: Hundreds of Bangladeshi protesters smashed down buildings connected to ousted former leader Sheikh Hasina on Thursday, hours after students with excavators began demolishing a museum to her father.
The museum and former of home of Hasina´s late father, Bangladesh´s first president Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, had been set on fire last year during the student-led revolution that ended her 15 years of autocratic rule.
Late Wednesday, six months to the day since Hasina fled by helicopter to old ally India on August 5, crowds carrying hammers and metal rods began beating down the walls of the building in the capital Dhaka. At least two people, accused of being members of Hasina´s Awami League, were beaten by the crowd, according to witnesses. Protests were triggered in response to reports that 77-year-old Hasina -- who has defied an arrest warrant to face trial in Dhaka for massacres -- would appear in a Facebook broadcast from exile. The interim government blamed Hasina for the violence.
“The recurrence of such incidents can be avoided only if Sheikh Hasina, against whom the government has issued warrants and who is accused of crimes against humanity, refrains from making speeches,” a government statement read.
“Hasina... insulted the people who sacrificed their lives by making irrelevant, absurd, and hateful comments”.
Dhaka´s foreign ministry said it had written to New Delhi demanding Hasina be barred from making “false, fabricated, and incendiary statements” while she is their guest.
On Thursday morning, diggers were being used to knock down the remaining fire-blackened walls.
Protesters also vandalised and torched other houses across the country linked to Hasina, including an arson attack on the Dhaka house of Hasina´s late husband.
-
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75