Starmer insists UK tackling child sex abuse, after Musk attacks
LONDON: UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Tuesday his government was “acting” to prevent further sexual exploitation of children by grooming gangs, after days of incendiary attacks on the issue by Elon Musk.
Starmer penned an editorial in The Sun tabloid to defend his own record dealing with sex offences against children in English towns and cities dating back decades, and argue that “far-right voices have tried to rewrite history”.
He also reiterated his opposition to holding a new public inquiry into the grooming scandal, which has hit the headlines again over the last week in large part due to Musk.
It comes as European leaders have expressed growing frustration with the US tech billionaire, a key Donald Trump ally, amid his increasingly strident interventions into their domestic politics.
Set for a role in President-elect Trump´s administration, Musk has used his X platform to launch a barrage of posts assailing Starmer and other figures from his centre-left Labour party over the grooming gangs.
He has accused Starmer -- previously head of the country´s prosecution service -- and other Labour politicians of complicity in the scandal, which first emerged more than a decade ago.
It involved the long-term, widespread sexual abuse of primarily white British girls by men of mostly South Asian origin in various northern English towns.
Official reports into how police, prosecutors and social workers failed to halt the rapes and other abuse found that in some cases officials wanted to avoid appearing racist.
None of the probes into the scandal singled Starmer out for blame or found that he tried to block prosecutions due to concerns over alleged Islamophobia.
The issue has long been seized upon by far-right UK figures, including notorious agitator Tommy Robinson.
Musk has praised the one-time football hooligan and said Robinson should be released from an 18-month jail term he received for repeated contempt of court offences.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025