NAB mulls moving SC for cancellation of Imran, Bushra bail in £190m case
NAB Prosecutor General Syed Ehtesham Qadir says since July 30, witness has not been cross-examined so far
ISLAMABAD: Frustrated by the defence side’s dragging the cross-examination of the last witness for over three months in the trial of £190m National Crime Agency (NCA) case, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) is considering approaching the Supreme Court for cancellation of bails of Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi.
NAB Prosecutor General Syed Ehtesham Qadir told The News the defence side in this case has already sought 34 adjournments while the cross-examination of the last witness is being dragged since July 30 this year. He said that since July 30, 38 hearings of the case took place but the last prosecution witness, who is NAB’s investigation officer, has not been cross-examined so far.
He said the delaying tactics used by the defence side is a glaring misuse of bail concession. He said he would recommend to the NAB chairman to approach the Supreme Court for the bails’ cancellation.
“It is significant to note that the last witness, Mian Umar Nadeem, got recorded his examination-in-chief on July 30, but unfortunately his cross-examination is being lingered on for last more than three months,” the PG NAB said, adding, “NAB has been set up to achieve theaim as to eradicate corruption and corrupt practices and hold accountable all those persons accused of such practices and it is very much object of NAB to get speedy disposal of such cases.”
He said it is being brought into the notice of the NAB chairman that the defence in the £190m reference is engaged in deliberate delaying tactics to impede the trial. Despite the prosecution side’s repeated attempts to expedite the proceedings, he said, the defence side continued to employ various strategies to prolong the trial.
Ehtesham Qadir disclosed that out of total 65 hearings, the defence side has sought 34 adjournments citing unsubstantial reasons only to hamper the conclusion of trial.He said the NAB’s prosecution has serious concerns about the defence’s side delaying tactics, which has seriously undermined the integrity of the trial process causing unnecessary delay.
The prosecutor general said the prosecution side in this case has not yet sought any adjournment regarding the production of prosecution evidence and has ensured the presence of prosecution witnesses on each and every date of hearing.The reference was filed in the first week of December 2023.
-
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’ -
Poll Reveals Majority Of Americans' Views On Bad Bunny