15 top businessmen’s cases closed by NAB over lack of evidence
Like bureaucrats, businessmen have been complaining about NAB’s excesses and misuse of power
ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has so far closed cases of around 15 top businessmen of the country on merit to promote business activity and encourage investment in the country.
Informed sources said cases of business community are also under review, and all those inquiries, investigations and even court references will also be closed or withdrawn where evidence available is weak or the cases framed lack legal grounds.
There is a realization in the present top management of NAB under Chairman Lt-Gen (R) Nazir Ahmed Butt, the Bureau, in the past, has been making cases and authorising inquiries and investigations against businessmen without any solid ground and on the basis of merely allegations and anonymous complaints.
The past policy of harassment of business community, it is admitted, has seriously jolted the confidence of business community and caused fear among the investors. It is said many top business tycoons of the country were the victims of NAB’s misuse of power.
They were harassed, disrespected and even jailed without any solid grounds just like members of the civilian bureaucracy and politicians. The NAB’s working had also deterred foreign investors. Some Arab rulers have been highlighting the same issues with Pakistani counterparts when the latter sought the former’s investment in Pakistan.
Like bureaucrats, businessmen have been complaining about NAB’s excesses and misuse of power in their meetings with civilians as well as military top leadership. Even during the most haunting tenure of former NAB Chairman Javed Iqbal during Imran Khan’s government, bureaucrats and businessmen had approached the then premier and the army chief. But, the Bureau continued with its policy of harassing and hounding both civil servants and members of business community.
The NAB’s present policy is completely backed by the prime minister and the army chief. Both have been assuring businessmen and bureaucrats they would be protected from NAB’s misuse of authority. They also encourage the present management of the Bureau to review its policies and procedures to promote a business-friendly environment and bring an end to NAB’s fear factor for both businessmen bureaucrats.
The present NAB management has already issued revised SOPs regarding cases of businessmen and bureaucrats. These SOPs are prepared in consultation with businessmen and bureaucrats to ensure no innocent is harassed and only those corruption cases that have solid evidence and could be proved in the court of law are pursued.
-
Michael B. Jordan Gives Credit To 'All My Children' For Shaping His Career: 'That Was My Education' -
Sun Appears Spotless For First Time In Four Years, Scientists Report -
Bella Hadid Opens Up About 'invisible Illness' -
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton -
Microsoft CEO Shares How Gates Doubted $1bn OpenAI Investment -
Milo Ventimiglia Calls Fatherhood 'pretty Wild Experience' As He Expects Second Baby With Wife Jarah Mariano -
Chinese Scientists Unveil Advanced AI Model To Support Deep-space Exploration -
Anthropic’s New AI Tool Wipes Billions Off Cybersecurity Stocks -
Trump Announces He Is Sending A Hospital Ship To Greenland Amid Rising Diplomatic Tensions -
'Never Have I Ever' Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Lifts The Lid On How She Avoids Drama At Coffee Shops Due To Her Name -
Inside Prince William’s Plans For Prince Harry: What Will Happen To Duke Once He’s King -
Chyler Leigh Pays Moving Homage To 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane: 'He Was Amazing' -
Did You Know Tech CEOs Limit Screen Time For Their Own Kids? -
Matthew Lillard Admits Fashion Trends Are Not His 'forte' -
SpaceX Launches Another Batch Of Satellites From Cape Canaveral During Late-night Mission On Saturday -
Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Get Pulled Into Parents’ Epstein Row: ‘At Least Stop Clinging!’