Sudan war pushed Darfur camp into famine: UN
PORT SUDAN, Sudan: War raging in Sudan between the army and rival paramilitaries has pushed the Zamzam camp near Darfur´s besieged city of El-Fasher into famine, a UN-backed assessment said on Thursday.
The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) review, which is used by UN agencies, found that “famine is ongoing in July 2024 in Zamzam camp”.
“The main drivers of famine in Zamzam camp are conflict and lack of humanitarian access,” it said.
Aid group Plan International said that “the IPC´s latest report confirms what we and our fellow humanitarians have feared for months: that children in Sudan, having endured more than a year of harrowing conflict, are now dying of hunger”.
Zamzam, a displacement camp in North Darfur state which hosted some 300,000 people “has swollen to half a million people in just a few weeks” due to the fighting in nearby El-Fasher, said Mohammed Qazilbash of Plan International.
Many residents have fled brutal combat in the state capital El-Fasher, the only major city in Sudan´s vast western Darfur region not under paramilitary control.
Fighting erupted in April 2023 between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces after a plan to integrate them failed, with the warring generals seizing territory.
Both sides have been accused of war crimes, including deliberately targeting civilians and blocking humanitarian aid. The war has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced more than 10 million, according to the United Nations.
As the country has been plunged into what the UN called “one of the worst humanitarian crises in recent memory”, the vast majority of relief operations have been suspended due to the violence.
The IPC report noted that El-Fasher airport “is not accessible for humanitarian deliveries due to insecurity”, noting that the last “delivery of food assistance to Zamzam camp was in April”.
Medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said last month that 63,000 children in Zamzam camp “qualify as malnourished”, and 10 percent of them were “severely, acutely malnourished”.
-
Prince William, Kate Middleton Camp Reacts To Meghan's Friend Remarks On Harry 'secret Olive Branch' -
Daniel Radcliffe Opens Up About 'The Wizard Of Oz' Offer -
Channing Tatum Reacts To UK's Action Against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Brooke Candy Announces Divorce From Kyle England After Seven Years Of Marriage -
Piers Morgan Makes Meaningful Plea To King Charles After Andrew Arrest -
Sir Elton John Details Struggle With Loss Of Vision: 'I Can't See' -
Epstein Estate To Pay $35M To Victims In Major Class Action Settlement -
Virginia Giuffre’s Brother Speaks Directly To King Charles In An Emotional Message About Andrew -
Reddit Tests AI-powered Shopping Results In Search -
Winter Olympics 2026: Everything To Know About The USA Vs Slovakia Men’s Hockey Game Today -
'Euphoria' Star Eric Made Deliberate Decision To Go Public With His ALS Diagnosis: 'Life Isn't About Me Anymore' -
Toy Story 5 Trailer Out: Woody And Buzz Faces Digital Age -
Andrew’s Predicament Grows As Royal Lodge Lands In The Middle Of The Epstein Investigation -
Rebecca Gayheart Unveils What Actually Happened When Ex-husband Eric Dane Called Her To Reveal His ALS Diagnosis -
What We Know About Chris Cornell's Final Hours -
Scientists Uncover Surprising Link Between 2.7 Million-year-old Climate Tipping Point & Human Evolution