Thursday July 25, 2024

Suspect remanded in police custody in software company CEO’s murder case

By Our Correspondent
July 11, 2024
Security officials stand alert in Karachi on July 8, 2024. — PPI
Security officials stand alert in Karachi on July 8, 2024. — PPI

A judicial magistrate on Wednesday remanded a suspect in police custody for five days in a case pertaining to the murder of a software company’s chief executive officer (CEO).

Shoaib, a software engineer, has been detained and booked on charges of stabbing to death his employer Naveed Khan over non-payment of his salary inside their office on the fourth floor of Kawish Crown Plaza on Sharea Faisal on Monday.

The investigating officer produced the suspect before the judicial magistrate (South) and requested grant of his 14-day physical remand in police custody for investigation and completion of other formalities.

The suspect stated in the court that he had been working as a software engineer in the company but hadn’t received his salary for the past three months. He said he was speaking to the CEO about his salary but the latter was not taking it seriously.

He said he picked up a knife from the kitchen and went to talk to him again, but his tone was mocking, which enraged him, leading him to attack with the knife. The magistrate, however, handed over the suspect to the police for five days with a direction to the investigating officer to produce him on the expiry of the remand.

An FIR has been lodged at the Tipu Sultan police station under Section 302 (murder) of the Pakistan Penal Code on the complaint of the victim’s brother Imtiaz Khan. According to the complainant, none of the employees of the company had received their salaries, including the suspect.

The suspect entered the office in the evening and attacked the victim with a sharp weapon, severely injuring him. The victim tried to escape and reached the building’s basement, where he collapsed. He was taken to the hospital but did not survive.

The suspect stayed in the office after the incident, and was later arrested by the police. The victim was a resident of Gulistan-e-Jauhar, and a father of three.