Rashford left out of England’s provisional Euro 2024 squad
LONDON: Forward Marcus Rashford was the most high-profile omission as England manager Gareth Southgate named his provisional Euro 2024 squad on Tuesday while there was also no place for experienced midfielder Jordan Henderson.
Several uncapped players -- Liverpool duo Curtis Jones and Jarell Quansah, Everton defender Jarrad Branthwaite and Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton -- did make the provisional list of 33. “Everybody has a chance,” Southgate told reporters. Southgate will cut his squad to 26 by the June 7 deadline.
The exclusion of Rashford and former Liverpool midfielder Henderson were the big surprises given the loyalty Southgate has shown them and their roles in previous tournament runs. Rashford, 26, has earned 60 caps and scored 17 goals, including three at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar but has struggled for form this season with only seven Premier League goals for Manchester United. “These are difficult calls. With Marcus I just feel other players in that area have had better seasons. It’s as simple as that,” Southgate said. “This has been as complicated a group as I can remember picking.”
Rashford posted an Instagram message to the team minutes after Tuesday’s announcement, saying “Wishing Gareth and the boys all the best for the up and coming tournament.” Henderson may also be considering his international future after his decision to join Ajax Amsterdam after a short spell with Saudi Arabian club Al-Ettifaq did not pay off with a call-up.
“Hendo picked up an injury around the last camp and missed five weeks and hasn’t been able to get to the intensity in the games since then,” Southgate said. Chelsea forward Raheem Sterling also missed out but his team mate Cole Palmer was included after a superb season. Manchester United’s Luke Shaw makes the provisional squad despite the left back being out for a lengthy period with injury.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’