Philippines rules out use of water cannon in disputed South China Sea
China’s embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment
MANILA: President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said on Monday the Philippines would not use water cannons or any offensive weapons in the South China Sea, and the last thing it wanted was to raise tensions in the strategic waterway.
“We will not follow the Chinese coast guard and Chinese vessels down that road,” Marcos told reporters, adding the mission of the Philippine navy and coast guard was to lower tensions, and there no plans to install water cannons on vessels.
China’s embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment.The Philippines and China have had several confrontations at disputed atolls in the South China Sea, most notably at the Second Thomas Shoal.
Last week, Manila protested Beijing’s use of water cannons against Filipino vessels at the submerged reef, describing it as harassment and “dangerous manoeuvres”, after a rise in tensions in recent months.
The Philippines has said such moves were aimed at disrupting supply missions to Filipino soldiers stationed in a naval ship there, which Manila deliberately grounded in 1999 to bolster its maritime claims.
“If the Philippines truly wants to de-escalate the situation in the South China Sea, it should immediately stop sending ships ... and stop sending supplies to illegally grounded ships,” a spokesperson for the Chinese foreign ministry said at a regular press briefing on Monday.
China claims sovereignty over much of the South China Sea, a conduit for more than $3 trillion of annual ship-borne commerce, including parts claimed by the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.An international tribunal in 2016 said China’s expansive claim had no legal basis, a decision Beijing has rejected.
-
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals