70 percent of country faces eight-hour power breakdown
220 and 500 KV transmission lines trip as demand outstretches power generation; 15 power houses also shut down; preventive mechanism saves entire transmission system from total failure
ISLAMABAD: Seventy percent of the country experienced an eight-hour power breakdown on Friday after two transmission lines of 220 and 500 KV each tripped in Muzaffargarh and Multan circuit respectively.
According to the NTDC officials, the 220 KV transmission line in Muzaffargarh and the 500 KV transmission line in Multan circuit tripped, causing an eight-hour power breakdown in 70 percent of the country. The 220 KV line tripped at 9.21am.
Many parts of all the federating units got affected. Power supply to the affected areas was restored at 4.46pm. Over 15 power houses also got shut down. However, the presence of a preventive mechanism saved the whole transmission system from getting affected.
A top official of the National Power Control Cell (NPCC) told The News that the government was very sensitive about power generation and wanted to keep the power generation from different plants a secret as many of them running on furnace oil had closed down. The government knows the fact that hydro power generation has drastically tumbled to 800-1,300MW from 4,000MW because of the annual canal closure.
The government wants to keep the diesel and furnace oil-fed plants closed to save fuel and keep consumers from getting fat power bills because of more use of power plants. Experts are of the view that at a time when the crude oil price in the international market is touching its lowest ebb, the government seems unwilling to run the power plants feeding on furnace oil.
The NPPC officials argue that chances of disturbance in frequency increase when demand outstretches power generation. However, the demand for power supply increased but generation did not match it, owing to which the frequency got disturbed, triggering the tripping of 220 transmission line in Muzaffargarh. This in turn led to the closure of over 15 power plants. As a result, 70 percent of the country faced an eight-hour power breakdown.
Spokesman for the Ministry of Water and Power said the 500 KVA transmission line between Muzaffargarh and Multan tripped at 9.21am putting the entire NTDC system under stress. Since the NTDC system was upgraded in the aftermath of the last year’s blackout, zoning mechanism was activated and the south and north regions operated in separate islands.
By and large, the four Discos in the south remained unaffected. However, the generation units tripped in the north zone due to higher loads than the available generation.
Secretary water and power and NPCC officials gathered in the control room. Supply to bigger cities was restored within 2-3 hours. The circuit system of 220 KVA and 500KVA was completely restored by 12.45pm. The supplies gradually increased and all discos' supplies were normalised by 4.45pm.
-
Michael B. Jordan Gives Credit To 'All My Children' For Shaping His Career: 'That Was My Education' -
Sun Appears Spotless For First Time In Four Years, Scientists Report -
Bella Hadid Opens Up About 'invisible Illness' -
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton -
Microsoft CEO Shares How Gates Doubted $1bn OpenAI Investment -
Milo Ventimiglia Calls Fatherhood 'pretty Wild Experience' As He Expects Second Baby With Wife Jarah Mariano -
Chinese Scientists Unveil Advanced AI Model To Support Deep-space Exploration -
Anthropic’s New AI Tool Wipes Billions Off Cybersecurity Stocks -
Trump Announces He Is Sending A Hospital Ship To Greenland Amid Rising Diplomatic Tensions -
'Never Have I Ever' Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Lifts The Lid On How She Avoids Drama At Coffee Shops Due To Her Name -
Inside Prince William’s Plans For Prince Harry: What Will Happen To Duke Once He’s King -
Chyler Leigh Pays Moving Homage To 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane: 'He Was Amazing' -
Did You Know Tech CEOs Limit Screen Time For Their Own Kids? -
Matthew Lillard Admits Fashion Trends Are Not His 'forte' -
SpaceX Launches Another Batch Of Satellites From Cape Canaveral During Late-night Mission On Saturday -
Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Get Pulled Into Parents’ Epstein Row: ‘At Least Stop Clinging!’