Ban on CNG - and LPG-run school vans soon
Karachi CNG- and LPG-run vehicles will soon be banned from transporting schoolchildren in Karachi, the city’s traffic police chief said on Saturday. Karachi Traffic DIG Amir Ahmed Shaikh told The News that he had written a letter to the transport secretary to impose the ban, copies of which were sent
By Salis bin Perwaiz
August 02, 2015
Karachi
CNG- and LPG-run vehicles will soon be banned from transporting schoolchildren in Karachi, the city’s traffic police chief said on Saturday.
Karachi Traffic DIG Amir Ahmed Shaikh told The News that he had written a letter to the transport secretary to impose the ban, copies of which were sent to the city’s commissioner, the IGP and the additional IGP traffic and the proposal had been accepted.
“The traffic police will soon start a drive to implement the ban,” the official added.
In his letter, the city’s traffic chief wrote that a meeting was held with the officers of transport and revenue departments on July 30. In that meeting, a summary was moved to the competent authority for imposing a complete ban on using CNG in public transport vehicles over safety risks. However, in the first phase, the provincial transport and mass transit department had banned using CNG in intercity buses only.
The official pointed out that the use of CNG and LPG in vehicles carrying school and college students was extremely dangerous as was evident in the tragic mishaps that occurred in Gujrat and Nawabshah.
Therefore, he requested in his letter that a partial modification should be made in the earlier notification issued by the transport department by imposing a ban on using CNG and LPG in school and college vehicles too.
Shaikh said the secretary transport had assured him that the notification would be amended.
Earlier on Saturday, the DIG traffic held a meeting with judicial traffic magistrates and traffic SSPs, DSPs and section officers of the West and South districts.
It was decided that the traffic police would launch a campaign from August 10 against people travelling on the roofs of buses and those who violated traffic signal rules.
In the second phase of the campaign that will start from August 21, the violators will be meted out strict punishments.
It was also decided that action against six-seat, nine-seat, 11-seat and Qingqi rickshaws would also be intensified.
The issue of the CNG- and LPG-run vehicles transporting schoolchildren and corrupt cops in the department was also discussed.
CNG- and LPG-run vehicles will soon be banned from transporting schoolchildren in Karachi, the city’s traffic police chief said on Saturday.
Karachi Traffic DIG Amir Ahmed Shaikh told The News that he had written a letter to the transport secretary to impose the ban, copies of which were sent to the city’s commissioner, the IGP and the additional IGP traffic and the proposal had been accepted.
“The traffic police will soon start a drive to implement the ban,” the official added.
In his letter, the city’s traffic chief wrote that a meeting was held with the officers of transport and revenue departments on July 30. In that meeting, a summary was moved to the competent authority for imposing a complete ban on using CNG in public transport vehicles over safety risks. However, in the first phase, the provincial transport and mass transit department had banned using CNG in intercity buses only.
The official pointed out that the use of CNG and LPG in vehicles carrying school and college students was extremely dangerous as was evident in the tragic mishaps that occurred in Gujrat and Nawabshah.
Therefore, he requested in his letter that a partial modification should be made in the earlier notification issued by the transport department by imposing a ban on using CNG and LPG in school and college vehicles too.
Shaikh said the secretary transport had assured him that the notification would be amended.
Earlier on Saturday, the DIG traffic held a meeting with judicial traffic magistrates and traffic SSPs, DSPs and section officers of the West and South districts.
It was decided that the traffic police would launch a campaign from August 10 against people travelling on the roofs of buses and those who violated traffic signal rules.
In the second phase of the campaign that will start from August 21, the violators will be meted out strict punishments.
It was also decided that action against six-seat, nine-seat, 11-seat and Qingqi rickshaws would also be intensified.
The issue of the CNG- and LPG-run vehicles transporting schoolchildren and corrupt cops in the department was also discussed.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France