Bodies of climbers found in Himalayas were roped together
NEW DELHI: Seven climbers killed on India’s second highest mountain last month were roped together when an avalanche struck, an official said on Thursday.
Their bodies were retrieved last Sunday from a height of 6,500 metres and taken to a "safe place" few hundred feet down in the Nanda Devi mountain range, after a search operation that lasted nearly a month.
The search for the eighth climber in the group of four Britons, two Americans, one Australian and their Indian guide continued on Thursday with bad weather hampering the operations in the treacherous terrain.
"The bodies were tied together with a rope when we found them," said Vivek Kumar Pandey, spokesman of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police. "The eighth climber whose body is missing could have been the lead mountaineer and may have gone ahead of the rest of the group," Pandey told AFP.
"His position is difficult to ascertain. It’s likely that his body has been covered by snow as we have been searching for the last four days but to no avail." The climbers were believed to have been hit by an avalanche as they attempted to summit one of Nanda Devi’s peaks that has not yet been conquered. The bodies were spotted from the air earlier this month but attempts to retrieve them were repeatedly put back because of the bad weather and difficult terrain.
The eight climbers were part of a 12-member expedition, but four Britons were rescued after breaking away. The missing climbers last communicated on May 26, a day before heavy snow fell and massive avalanches hit the slopes.
On Thursday, the rescue team shifted the seven bodies to an area further lower down where smaller helicopters can operate and bring them to a border post. "The border outpost is at a height of about 3,657 metres and bigger military helicopters can land here," Pandey said.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025