Two Nanga Parbat massacre suspects flee Gilgit jail
Two others killed in encounter; IG Prisons suspended
By our correspondents
February 28, 2015
ISLAMABAD: Two militant suspects facing trial for the massacre of 10 foreign climbers two years ago escaped from jail on Friday, an official said.
Subsequently, the IG Prisons has been suspended.The 2013 killing of the climbers and their local guide in a predawn attack on their base camp on Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest mountain in the world, dealt a severe blow to Pakistan’s mountaineering tourism industry.
Two other prisoners were shot and killed in the jailbreak in northern Gilgit agency early on Friday morning, said Sultan Faisal, the prison’s deputy inspector general.The four had dug a tunnel from their barracks to the wall of the prison, another jail official said on condition of anonymity.
The two who escaped were among about a dozen suspected Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militants jailed while on trial for the Nanga Parbat massacre, Faisal said adding that two jail officials had been suspended pending an investigation.
Victims of the mountain assault included climbers from China, Lithuania, Nepal, Slovakia, Ukraine and one person with joint US-Chinese citizenship. One Chinese climber escaped.The Pakistani Taliban originally claimed responsibility for the slaughter by gunmen dressed as police officers.
The once-peaceful areas of northern Pakistan where the Himalayan, Karakoram and Hindu Kush mountain ranges meet have been increasingly infiltrated by militants seeking to gain footholds beyond their traditional hideouts on Pakistan’s porous border with Afghanistan. — Agencies
Our correspondent adds from Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Friday expressed his anger over the escape of two terrorists from the Gilgit jail. Reprimanding the G-B government over the security lapse, he directed to fix responsibility in this important matter as the escaping terrorists were involved in the murder of foreign tourists. He asked to bring the culprits to book. He questioned if lack of security personnel was a cause, then why the G-B administration did not contact the federal government for appropriate reinforcements in time.
Subsequently, the IG Prisons has been suspended.The 2013 killing of the climbers and their local guide in a predawn attack on their base camp on Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest mountain in the world, dealt a severe blow to Pakistan’s mountaineering tourism industry.
Two other prisoners were shot and killed in the jailbreak in northern Gilgit agency early on Friday morning, said Sultan Faisal, the prison’s deputy inspector general.The four had dug a tunnel from their barracks to the wall of the prison, another jail official said on condition of anonymity.
The two who escaped were among about a dozen suspected Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militants jailed while on trial for the Nanga Parbat massacre, Faisal said adding that two jail officials had been suspended pending an investigation.
Victims of the mountain assault included climbers from China, Lithuania, Nepal, Slovakia, Ukraine and one person with joint US-Chinese citizenship. One Chinese climber escaped.The Pakistani Taliban originally claimed responsibility for the slaughter by gunmen dressed as police officers.
The once-peaceful areas of northern Pakistan where the Himalayan, Karakoram and Hindu Kush mountain ranges meet have been increasingly infiltrated by militants seeking to gain footholds beyond their traditional hideouts on Pakistan’s porous border with Afghanistan. — Agencies
Our correspondent adds from Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Friday expressed his anger over the escape of two terrorists from the Gilgit jail. Reprimanding the G-B government over the security lapse, he directed to fix responsibility in this important matter as the escaping terrorists were involved in the murder of foreign tourists. He asked to bring the culprits to book. He questioned if lack of security personnel was a cause, then why the G-B administration did not contact the federal government for appropriate reinforcements in time.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports