Myanmar’s camps face ‘catastrophe’ from virus
YANGON: Hundreds of thousands of people displaced by conflict in Myanmar face a health “catastrophe” from the coronavirus pandemic, a rights group warned, as international calls grow for an end to fighting. Overcrowded camps with an estimated 350,000 people were “COVID-19 tinderboxes”, Human Rights Watch said.
Myanmar has 16 confirmed infections and one death, but experts say the lack of testing and poor health infrastructure mean the true figure is likely far higher in the impoverished country, long wracked by ethnic and religious violence. Eighteen ambassadors to Myanmar — including from the United States, Britain and European Union — issued a joint statement Wednesday saying they were “deeply concerned”, and called for an end to fighting in the country.
The focus must be on “protecting the most vulnerable communities from the devastating impacts of COVID-19”, they said. Myanmar´s decrepit health system would struggle to cope with a serious outbreak of the deadly virus, HRW said Monday. But displaced communities in Rakhine, Kachin, Shan, Chin and Karen states were even more vulnerable while internet blackouts and clamp downs on media freedoms in some areas have left people particularly isolated. “The authorities need to ensure these groups have access to information, humanitarian aid, and health services — including prompt testing and isolation for those who show symptoms,” said HRW Asia director Brad Adams. Myanmar´s military has long been locked in battles with various insurgent groups across the country. A conflict in Rakhine state involving the Arakan Army — which is fighting for greater autonomy for ethnic Rakhine Buddhists — has left scores of civilians dead and hundreds wounded. Some 150,000 people have been displaced by the violence since January last year. The situation is even more dire for Rakhine state´s Rohingya Muslim population, who are among those with the worst health-care access. Nearly 130,000 have languished in camps since intercommunal violence in 2012, with virtually no freedom of movement. One man in a camp near state capital Sittwe told AFP they were doing what they could. “We keep our children indoors,” he said, asking not to be named. “We´re afraid of the virus.”
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'