Two Turkish soldiers killed in Syria’s Idlib
ANKARA: Two Turkish soldiers were killed in the rebel-held northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, officials said Thursday, the country´s first reported casualties since a ceasefire began earlier this month.
A ceasefire was agreed in Idlib — the last Syrian outpost out of the control of President Bashar al-Assad´s forces — between rebel-backer Turkey and regime-ally Russia which entered into force on March 6. It has largely held. But Turkey´s ruling party deputy chairman, Mahir Unal, said on Twitter Thursday that a soldier was killed in a “heinous attack” in the Idlib town of Muhambal. Unal did not say who was responsible for the attack. The governor´s office of the central Turkish province of Sivas tweeted that a 25-year-old soldier from the area was also killed in the Syrian region. The governorate provided no details on how the soldier was killed or exactly where.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Tuesday that four regime fighters and a rebel were killed in clashes in southern Idlib. Ankara hopes the ceasefire will stem a months-long government assault on the jihadist-dominated region, which is home to some three million people.. Nearly a million in Idlib were forced to flee towards the Turkish border during a regime-led offensive underway since December, which killed around 500 civilians.
Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed the migrant crisis and the situation in Syria´s rebel enclave of Idlib, with the leaders of France, Germany and Britain.The four-party video conference that involved French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson came after Turkey decided last month to re-open its border for refugees trying to reach Europe.
The move sparked tensions with Brussels, and with neighbouring Greece, when thousands of migrants massed on the Turkish-Greek border. “Humanitarian assistance for Idlib, and the refugee issue” were on the agenda according to the Turkish presidency, along with other issues such as fighting in Libya.
-
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage