US warns Iraq it ‘will not tolerate’ attacks on Americans
WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned Iraq Monday the US would retaliate "as necessary" against any new assaults on Americans after a slew of rocket attacks.
The United States last week launched air strikes against an Iranian-allied paramilitary group following a deadly attack on an Iraqi base housing US troops, but rocket fire has continued unabated.
In a phone call with Iraq´s caretaker prime minister, Adel Abdel Mahdi, Pompeo said that Baghdad "must defend coalition personnel" who are officially deployed as part of the campaign against the Islamic State group. "Secretary Pompeo noted that America will not tolerate attacks and threats to American lives and will take additional action as necessary in self-defence," the State Department said in a statement.
A fresh spate of rockets, brazenly fired in the daytime, targeted the crowded Taji air base north of Baghdad on Saturday, wounding three members of the US-led coalition. None of the attacks have ever been claimed but the US has blamed hardline Shiite paramilitary groups, which are allied with neighbouring Iran and incorporated into the Iraqi state.
On Wednesday, a similar rocket attack at Taji killed two American personnel and a British soldier in the deadliest such incident at an Iraqi base in years. The US responded Friday with air strikes on arms depots it said were used by the faction Kataeb Hezbollah and destroyed part of the under-construction airport in the Shiite shrine city of Karbala.
Iraq´s military said that five members of its security forces and one civilian were killed, none members of the targeted paramilitary group. Iraq -- which has long feared getting caught in spiralling US-Iran tensions -- denounced the "American aggression" and said it would lodge a complaint with the UN Security Council.
The conflict dramatically escalated in early January when the United States killed Iran´s best-known general, Qassem Soleimani, in a drone strike at the Baghdad airport. Baghdad responded by urging US forces to leave but Washington has refused, with Pompeo saying that Iraqi leaders privately wanted troops to stay and President Donald Trump threatening sanctions if US forces are booted out.
-
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff