Australia announces over $11 billion virus stimulus package
CANBERRA: The Australian government has announced a 17.6-billion-Australian-dollar (11.35 billion U.S. dollars) coronavirus stimulus package.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Treasurer Josh Frydenberg unveiled the support package on Thursday, one day after Morrison and Health Minister Greg Hunt announced a 2.4-billion-Australian-dollar (1.55 billion US dollars) medical response to the crisis.
“This is a very comprehensive, a very well thought through, a well-targeted plan, which is designed to support the Australian economy and jobs and businesses through the difficult months ahead,” Morrison said.The measures, which are worth more than 1 percent of Australia’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), include incentives to fast-track investment and wage subsidies for trade apprentices.
Some 690,000 small and medium-sized businesses with turnovers of up to 50 million Australian dollars (32.26 million US dollars) per year will be eligible for tax-free payments of 2,000 to 25,000 Australian dollars (1,290 to 16,000 US dollars) to save jobs.
Businesses with turnovers of up to 500 million Australian dollars (322 million US dollars) will be able to claim tax deductions of up to 150,000 Australian dollars (96,775 US dollars) for equipment including vehicles, tools and equipment - up from the current limit of 30,000 Australian dollars (19,355 US dollars).
The government will also establish a coronavirus fund worth an initial 1 billion Australian dollars (645 million US dollars) to support the tourism sector in areas hit hardest by COVID-19.Welfare recipients, of whom a large proportion are pensioners, will receive a one-off cash payment of 750 Australian dollars (483 US dollars).
“This one-off payment, which costs 4.8 billion Australian dollars (3.1 billion US dollars), will flow automatically from March 31 and provide additional income to millions of Australians that will be spent across the economy,” Frydenberg said.
“Now it’s not for us to tell those Australians how to spend their money but what we do know from experience is that they will spend that money and that money will encourage economic activity.”The wait time for a government sickness allowance will be waived for casual workers forced into isolation who are not entitled to paid sick leave.Earlier on Thursday, Frydenberg told Sky News Australia that a “vast majority” of the funds will be spent before the end of the current financial year on June 30.
Frydenberg, Morrison and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann have repeatedly promised to deliver Australia’s first budget surplus since the Global Financial Crisis in 2019/20 but have conceded that the impacts of coronavirus and the summer’s bushfire crisis have made doing so impossible.—
-
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals