Toll in Karachi building collapse rises to 16
KARACHI: A day after multi-storeyed buildings collapsed in the Gulbahar area of Nazimabad, the police on Friday registered a case over the incident. Meanwhile, the death toll from the incident rose to 16 as two more bodies were taken out from the debris on Friday.
The case was registered on the behalf of the state at the Rizvia police station. The case was registered against the building’s owner; however, the police have placed multiple sections of the Pakistan Penal Code in the FIR, including 322 (causing death without intention), 119 (Qisas), 337 (causing bodily harm), 427 (mischief causing material damage) and 190 (aiding and abetting).
Though the case has been registered, no arrest had been made till the filing of the news story as police officials said they remained busy in search and rescue operation.
“No time-frame can be given about when the search and rescue operation will end,” said Liaquatabad Divisional SP Ejaz Bhatti. “By retrieving two more bodies, the death toll from the incident has risen to 16.”
The officer said that rescue workers were busy in removing the debris and retrieving bodies from the debris of the collapsed buildings after cutting through iron rods. The nearby buildings have also been evacuated to avoid any untoward incident; however, rescuers are facing difficulties in the search and rescue operation due to the congested area and narrow streets.
The operation continued on the second consecutive day as volunteers and rescuers from different organisations and personnel from the Pakistan military, paramilitary force and police remained busy in the search and rescue operation. SP Bhatti said that nothing could said about more casualties until the search and rescue operation ended and debris removed from the site of the incident.
On Thursday morning, the residential building had fallen on two adjacent structures, bringing them to the ground as well. Fourteen people had lost their lives on the very first day of the incident while over a dozen others were taken to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for treatment.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025