NZ Cricket says no winners in Cairns trial
By our correspondents
December 02, 2015
WELLINGTON: New Zealand Cricket chairman Stuart Heal expressed relief on Tuesday that the Chris Cairns match-fixing perjury trial was over, saying there were no winners in the “unpleasant and incredibly difficult” case.
A London court on Monday cleared Cairns of perjury and perverting the course of justice after a nine-week trial which included testimony from Black Caps skipper Brendon McCullum that his ex-teammate had pitched a match-fixing proposal.
Regardless of the verdict, Heal said he was pleased New Zealand cricketers were prepared to speak out about the issue in court, saying his organisation was “in good spiritual and ethical health”.
“The fact (is) that a number of people who are affiliated to New Zealand Cricket and/or the game came forward during this case for the right reasons,” he told Radio New Zealand.
“Yes there will be some reputational damage, but I’m proud of the fact that people did come forward.”
Former New Zealand players who took the stand included Daniel Vettori, Andre Adams and Kyle Mills.
“This has been an unpleasant time for everyone — for the Cairns family, for the cricket family, for the witnesses — there are no winners,” Heal told the broadcaster.
Charges were brought against Cairns after he sued Indian Premier League chairman Lalit Modi for libel in 2012 over a 2010 tweet in which the administrator accused him of match-fixing.
The allegations against him resurfaced in December 2013 when the International Cricket Council confirmed it was investigating match-fixing claims involving three former New Zealand internationals.
Heal acknowledged Cairns as one of the all-time greats of New Zealand cricket but declined to answer directly when asked if the former national captain might one day be used as an ambassador for the game now he had been cleared.
“I heard him say that he would not be involved in cricket and I think that today is not the right day to have that conversation... but I’m an older man and I never say never,” he said.
McCullum has faced questions about why it took him three years to report alleged match-fixing approaches from Cairns, the first of which he claimed took place in India in 2008.
A London court on Monday cleared Cairns of perjury and perverting the course of justice after a nine-week trial which included testimony from Black Caps skipper Brendon McCullum that his ex-teammate had pitched a match-fixing proposal.
Regardless of the verdict, Heal said he was pleased New Zealand cricketers were prepared to speak out about the issue in court, saying his organisation was “in good spiritual and ethical health”.
“The fact (is) that a number of people who are affiliated to New Zealand Cricket and/or the game came forward during this case for the right reasons,” he told Radio New Zealand.
“Yes there will be some reputational damage, but I’m proud of the fact that people did come forward.”
Former New Zealand players who took the stand included Daniel Vettori, Andre Adams and Kyle Mills.
“This has been an unpleasant time for everyone — for the Cairns family, for the cricket family, for the witnesses — there are no winners,” Heal told the broadcaster.
Charges were brought against Cairns after he sued Indian Premier League chairman Lalit Modi for libel in 2012 over a 2010 tweet in which the administrator accused him of match-fixing.
The allegations against him resurfaced in December 2013 when the International Cricket Council confirmed it was investigating match-fixing claims involving three former New Zealand internationals.
Heal acknowledged Cairns as one of the all-time greats of New Zealand cricket but declined to answer directly when asked if the former national captain might one day be used as an ambassador for the game now he had been cleared.
“I heard him say that he would not be involved in cricket and I think that today is not the right day to have that conversation... but I’m an older man and I never say never,” he said.
McCullum has faced questions about why it took him three years to report alleged match-fixing approaches from Cairns, the first of which he claimed took place in India in 2008.
-
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps