Monza in peril as Ecclestone considers future
MANAMA, Bahrain: The future of the classic Italian Grand Prix at Monza remained uncertain Monday after it was revealed by Formula One commercial ring-master Bernie Ecclestone that he was considering dumping it from the calendar.“They don’t have an agreement, so we have got to wait and see haven’t we?” said
By our correspondents
April 21, 2015
MANAMA, Bahrain: The future of the classic Italian Grand Prix at Monza remained uncertain Monday after it was revealed by Formula One commercial ring-master Bernie Ecclestone that he was considering dumping it from the calendar.
“They don’t have an agreement, so we have got to wait and see haven’t we?” said Ecclestone at the weekend while attending the Bahrain Grand Prix. “It’s a bit like Germany really.”
The German Grand Prix, scheduled this year to be held on July 19, was axed last month (March) to the amazement of many observers.
This season will be the first since 1960 not to have included a German Grand Prix - at a time when Mercedes Benz are world champions and Germany has two top drivers contending for wins in the title race. Italy is one of only two remaining countries that have hosted a Grand Prix every year since the championship began in 1950. Monza hosted all but one of those races (Imola was the venue in 1980), but its current agreement ends next year (2016).
If the Italian race is dropped, it will be the third of the great classic European events to disappear from modern F1’s global circus tour - following France, axed in 2008, and Germany.
Ecclestone denied it was ‘unthinkable’ to allow F1 to lose so many classic races, including Italy. Ecclestone said he was not concerned by fears of protests at that country’s human rights record.
“They don’t have an agreement, so we have got to wait and see haven’t we?” said Ecclestone at the weekend while attending the Bahrain Grand Prix. “It’s a bit like Germany really.”
The German Grand Prix, scheduled this year to be held on July 19, was axed last month (March) to the amazement of many observers.
This season will be the first since 1960 not to have included a German Grand Prix - at a time when Mercedes Benz are world champions and Germany has two top drivers contending for wins in the title race. Italy is one of only two remaining countries that have hosted a Grand Prix every year since the championship began in 1950. Monza hosted all but one of those races (Imola was the venue in 1980), but its current agreement ends next year (2016).
If the Italian race is dropped, it will be the third of the great classic European events to disappear from modern F1’s global circus tour - following France, axed in 2008, and Germany.
Ecclestone denied it was ‘unthinkable’ to allow F1 to lose so many classic races, including Italy. Ecclestone said he was not concerned by fears of protests at that country’s human rights record.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025