Three killed in clashes in Turkey south’s restive east
ISTANBUL: Three people, including a child, were killed in clashes between Kurdish militants and security forces in Turkey’s restive Kurdish-majority southeast on Thursday, officials said.Fighting erupted in the Cizre district of Sirnak province when Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) rebels attacked a military outpost with rocket launchers, a security source told
By our correspondents
August 28, 2015
ISTANBUL: Three people, including a child, were killed in clashes between Kurdish militants and security forces in Turkey’s restive Kurdish-majority southeast on Thursday, officials said.
Fighting erupted in the Cizre district of Sirnak province when Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) rebels attacked a military outpost with rocket launchers, a security source told AFP.
Three Kurds, one of them a seven-year-old boy, died of gunshot wounds in hospital, the source said, adding that seven others, including three Turkish soldiers, were also wounded in the fighting.
Heavy fighting was also raging between the army and PKK militants in the Yuksekova district of Hakkari province, where authorities imposed a curfew late on Wednesday.
Pro-Kurdish media reported that several civilians had been killed, but the reports could not be independently verified.
The PKK has been staging daily attacks against Turkish armed forces as the military keeps up air raids and operations against its strongholds in southeast Turkey as well as northern Iraq.
According to figures published on Thursday by the state-run Anatolia news agency before the latest incidents, 918 PKK militants have been killed in the latest campaign.
Fighting erupted in the Cizre district of Sirnak province when Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) rebels attacked a military outpost with rocket launchers, a security source told AFP.
Three Kurds, one of them a seven-year-old boy, died of gunshot wounds in hospital, the source said, adding that seven others, including three Turkish soldiers, were also wounded in the fighting.
Heavy fighting was also raging between the army and PKK militants in the Yuksekova district of Hakkari province, where authorities imposed a curfew late on Wednesday.
Pro-Kurdish media reported that several civilians had been killed, but the reports could not be independently verified.
The PKK has been staging daily attacks against Turkish armed forces as the military keeps up air raids and operations against its strongholds in southeast Turkey as well as northern Iraq.
According to figures published on Thursday by the state-run Anatolia news agency before the latest incidents, 918 PKK militants have been killed in the latest campaign.
-
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps -
Zuckerberg Denies At LA Trial That 'Instagram Targets Kids' Amid Addiction Claims -
France Sees Record 102mn International Tourists In 2025