Monsoon misery spreads in Myanmar
SITTWE, Myanmar: Myanmar’s government on Tuesday admitted its “weak” response to massive floods had hampered evacuation efforts, as rain-battered Asian nations counted the rising cost of this year’s monsoon.Flash floods and landslides in Myanmar have claimed at least 46 lives and affected some 215,000 people, swallowing huge tracts of land
By our correspondents
August 05, 2015
SITTWE, Myanmar: Myanmar’s government on Tuesday admitted its “weak” response to massive floods had hampered evacuation efforts, as rain-battered Asian nations counted the rising cost of this year’s monsoon.
Flash floods and landslides in Myanmar have claimed at least 46 lives and affected some 215,000 people, swallowing huge tracts of land in what the United Nations has described as a “major natural disaster”.
Tens of thousands of people remain cut off as officials warned that swollen rivers are now threatening to inundate low-lying southern areas of the country.
The quasi-civilian government has come under mounting criticism on social media, accused of underplaying the scale of the disaster.
It prompted a rare concession from the government which is particularly concerned about its image just months ahead of a general election in November.
“The government’s weak response to the disaster led to misunderstandings about evacuation efforts,” state-backed English-language newspaper Global New Light of Myanmar reported, citing government spokesman Ye Htut.
Suspicion of officialdom lingers after Myanmar’s previous junta government was accused of callous indifference in its sluggish response to Cyclone Nargis in May 2008, which left nearly 140,000 people dead or missing.
Relentless seasonal downpours have lashed much of South and Southeast Asia in recent weeks.
The annual monsoon is a lifeline for farmers across Asia but heavy rains and powerful cyclones can also prove deadly.
By Tuesday the death toll in India from days of rain rose to 180, the majority in West Bengal after receding waters yielded more bodies.
Around 1.2 million people have been forced from their homes after rivers burst their banks in the wake of Cyclone Komen — which barrelled through the Bay of Bengal late last week.
Scores have also died in Vietnam and Nepal.
Myanmar has designated four states and regions — Rakhine, Chin, Sagaing and Magway — as “natural disaster” areas, warning that flooding is spreading southwards.
But the nationwide picture remains patchy.
Roads are damaged or inundated, phone lines are down and electricity has been cut to large areas, raising fears that tens of thousands of people — many of whom already live in abject poverty — are in dire need of help.
Soldiers loaded aid into helicopters in the Rakhine state capital Sittwe early on Tuesday, an AFP reporter at the scene said, as rescuers battled to reach isolated villages.
Flooding has started to recede in many areas around the city, but thousands of homes and farms have been destroyed, while many communities in the rugged and impoverished state remain virtually cut off.
A Sittwe police officer requesting anonymity told AFP that by Sunday 37 people had died from floods in the state, indicating the final national toll could surge, while seven were missing.
Flash floods and landslides in Myanmar have claimed at least 46 lives and affected some 215,000 people, swallowing huge tracts of land in what the United Nations has described as a “major natural disaster”.
Tens of thousands of people remain cut off as officials warned that swollen rivers are now threatening to inundate low-lying southern areas of the country.
The quasi-civilian government has come under mounting criticism on social media, accused of underplaying the scale of the disaster.
It prompted a rare concession from the government which is particularly concerned about its image just months ahead of a general election in November.
“The government’s weak response to the disaster led to misunderstandings about evacuation efforts,” state-backed English-language newspaper Global New Light of Myanmar reported, citing government spokesman Ye Htut.
Suspicion of officialdom lingers after Myanmar’s previous junta government was accused of callous indifference in its sluggish response to Cyclone Nargis in May 2008, which left nearly 140,000 people dead or missing.
Relentless seasonal downpours have lashed much of South and Southeast Asia in recent weeks.
The annual monsoon is a lifeline for farmers across Asia but heavy rains and powerful cyclones can also prove deadly.
By Tuesday the death toll in India from days of rain rose to 180, the majority in West Bengal after receding waters yielded more bodies.
Around 1.2 million people have been forced from their homes after rivers burst their banks in the wake of Cyclone Komen — which barrelled through the Bay of Bengal late last week.
Scores have also died in Vietnam and Nepal.
Myanmar has designated four states and regions — Rakhine, Chin, Sagaing and Magway — as “natural disaster” areas, warning that flooding is spreading southwards.
But the nationwide picture remains patchy.
Roads are damaged or inundated, phone lines are down and electricity has been cut to large areas, raising fears that tens of thousands of people — many of whom already live in abject poverty — are in dire need of help.
Soldiers loaded aid into helicopters in the Rakhine state capital Sittwe early on Tuesday, an AFP reporter at the scene said, as rescuers battled to reach isolated villages.
Flooding has started to recede in many areas around the city, but thousands of homes and farms have been destroyed, while many communities in the rugged and impoverished state remain virtually cut off.
A Sittwe police officer requesting anonymity told AFP that by Sunday 37 people had died from floods in the state, indicating the final national toll could surge, while seven were missing.
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show