‘Turkey has not asked for Nato military help’
OSLO: Turkey has not asked for substantial military help from Nato in its campaign against IS and Kurdish militants, the alliance’s chief said on Monday, a day before it meets to discuss the fighting.Jens Stoltenberg also warned Turkey that its bombing campaign could endanger the progress that has been made
By our correspondents
July 28, 2015
OSLO: Turkey has not asked for substantial military help from Nato in its campaign against IS and Kurdish militants, the alliance’s chief said on Monday, a day before it meets to discuss the fighting.
Jens Stoltenberg also warned Turkey that its bombing campaign could endanger the progress that has been made in recent years toward reaching a peace deal with Kurdish militants.
Nato ambassadors are due to meet on Tuesday at Ankara’s request to discuss the spike of violence between Turkey, Islamic State Jihadists and Kurdish militants.
“Turkey has a very strong army and very strong security forces. So there has been no request for any substantial Nato military support,” Stoltenberg said in an interview with the BBC.
Turkey bombed IS positions in Syria for the first time last week, after a suicide bombing blamed on the Jihadists killed 32 people on the border with the war-torn nation.
It has also bombed positions of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in northern Iraq for the first time in four years, after the militants, who accuse Ankara of colluding with the Islamists, claimed the killing of two police officers.
While applauding Ankara for joining the fight against the IS, the Nato chief cautioned that “self-defence has to be proportionate”.
And in an interview with Norwegian television late on Sunday, he warned that Turkey’s strikes on Kurdish militants risked undermining years of tortuous peace talks.
Jens Stoltenberg also warned Turkey that its bombing campaign could endanger the progress that has been made in recent years toward reaching a peace deal with Kurdish militants.
Nato ambassadors are due to meet on Tuesday at Ankara’s request to discuss the spike of violence between Turkey, Islamic State Jihadists and Kurdish militants.
“Turkey has a very strong army and very strong security forces. So there has been no request for any substantial Nato military support,” Stoltenberg said in an interview with the BBC.
Turkey bombed IS positions in Syria for the first time last week, after a suicide bombing blamed on the Jihadists killed 32 people on the border with the war-torn nation.
It has also bombed positions of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in northern Iraq for the first time in four years, after the militants, who accuse Ankara of colluding with the Islamists, claimed the killing of two police officers.
While applauding Ankara for joining the fight against the IS, the Nato chief cautioned that “self-defence has to be proportionate”.
And in an interview with Norwegian television late on Sunday, he warned that Turkey’s strikes on Kurdish militants risked undermining years of tortuous peace talks.
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show