Construction of five-star hotel in Nathiagali opposed
ABBOTTABAD: The Galiyat Tahaffuz Movement, an organisation working to protect the environment, has expressed concern over the foundation stone laying for a five-star hotel’s construction at scenic Nathiagali valley.
Chairman Sardar Sabir and general secretary Sardar Iftikhar of the organization told the media on Sunday a multistory hotel was being constructed on the land of Ayubia National Park by encroaching on the forest without fulfilling the legal process.
They said it was disgusting that neither the Environmental Impact Assessment for construction of the hotel had been made, nor soil tests conducted as the patch of land was situated at the ridge of the forest.
The environment body representatives said it was a non-technical and non-professional decision made in haphazard manners by the government which would cause irreparable loss to the ecosystem of Galiyat.
The conservationists opposed the project and suggested to the government to review the decision to safeguard the public interest. They believed that Prime Minister Imran Khan was reneging on his own promises of protection of the environment, especially forests in the wake of climatic changes.
The environment activists recalled that Imran Khan had announced to plant a billion trees in KP during the first tenure of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government in KP and after assuming prime minister office in 2018 had announced to plant 5/10 billion trees in the entire country.
They said the PTI government renewed commitments time and again to protect the environment and preserve forests but the actions being taken were contrary to these commitments. The environment activists said the KP government decision to allow construction of a multistory five-star hotel in Nathiagali was a clear violation of the national laws and international obligations.
They said the local community and civil society organizations rejected the hotel construction plan and demanded the government to stop the project which they said was an anti-environment scheme. The environmental activists said they would opt for the legal course if this project was not stopped by the government.
Meanwhile, it was learnt that the Divisional Forest Officer Wildlife Department in a letter addressed to Director-General Galiyat of the Development Authority had asked for halting the construction work on the hotel as the land was sited in the forest of the Ayubia National Park.
The copy of the letter available with this correspondent stated that KP Wildlife Biodiversity Act 2015 restricted such high rise construction in the national park and no high rise construction in a protected area may be made at the cost of the ecosystem.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'