Damloti wells to be revived for resolving city’s water issue: Nasir

By Our Correspondent
June 03, 2021

Sindh Information and Local Government Minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah on Wednesday announced the implementation of a plan to revive the historical wells of Damloti in District Malir of Karachi.

He made the announcement to this effect while visiting the Damloti wells along with senior officials. He directed the managing director of the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board (KWSB) to prepare the scheme to revive the wells.

Shah recalled that the Damloti wells had been built in Karachi during the British colonial rule as it was the best natural method to get the potable water. He explained that Karachi continued to receive water from these wells till 1983 but later on this system of water supply was abandoned due to the decrease in the level of the subsoil water. Karachi would receive 20 million gallons more water after the restoration of these wells as it would become the best source of bulk supply of water to the nearby areas of District Malir, Shah said.

The local government minister directed the KWSB chief to properly survey the wells before preparing a developing scheme for their revival. He mentioned that Pakistan Peoples Party Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari had passed on special instructions to resolve the water issue of Karachi. Several steps were being taken to fulfil the water supply needs of the city, he added.

He said a drive was being carried out to take action against water theft and illegal water connections in Karachi. He claimed that the water supply situation was getting improved in the city after such due corrective measures.