DHA double murder case: Non-bailable warrants issued for witnesses
KARACHI: A district and sessions court on Saturday issued non-bailable arrest warrants for witnesses not turning up to record their statements in the DHA double murder trial.
The additional district and sessions judge South - IV, who is conducting the trial inside the central prison, directed the investigation officer to arrest the absconding witnesses and present them in court on April 24.
The judge also ordered him to produce the case property on the next hearing. In the meantime, he asked the main accused, Atif Zaman, to engage a counsel for his defence in the trial.
The court had previously framed charges on Atif for murdering anchorperson Mureed Abbas and another man Khizar Hayat. The judge had also declared the absconding accused, Atif’s brother Adil Zaman, a proclaimed offender.
According to the prosecution, Atif with the help of his brother killed the two people minutes apart in Defence Housing Authority on July 9, 2019.
Both the victims were partners in a business with Atif and were demanding their money back owing to non-payment of their shares in the profit - which apparently instigated him to commit the murders, the prosecution stated.
Atif called Abbas and Hayat at two different places in DHA on the pretext of returning some of the owed amount, the charge sheet read. He first shot Hayat at a signal and later went to kill Abbas in an office.
After indictment, Atif denied the charges and opted to contest the case, following which the judge ordered beginning of the trial on March 6 and directed the investigation officer to bring witnesses in the court.
The court has also bifurcated the case for Adil who has been absconding since the Supreme Court revoked his bail in September 2020. He will be charged separately after he is arrested again.
Atif was taken in custody soon after the incident when police raided his apartment but he shot himself in the torso. He was then shifted to a private hospital for treatment.
Adil was arrested in October 2019 from a northern part of the country. However, a sessions court granted him bail in June 2020 following which the wife of slain anchorperson, Zara Abbas, moved to the appellate forum against it.
-
Hilary Duff’s Son Roasts Her Outfit In New Album Interview -
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
David, Victoria Beckham Gushes Over 'fiercely Loyal' Son Cruz On Special Day -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027