Rugby Australia signs Aus$100m broadcast deal
SYDNEY: Rugby Australia announced a broadcast rights deal with Nine Entertainment Monday that the financially stricken body said would “reboot the game at every level”.
RA said the deal would deliver benefits worth Aus$100 million (US$73 million) over three years from 2021, with the prospect of more funds if Nine exercises a two-year extension option.
“This agreement ensures the future of our sport and this exciting new chapter enables Rugby Australia to dynamically grow the game from the grassroots up,” RA chairman Hamish McLennan said.
The package values rugby’s broadcast rights significantly lower than the Aus$285 million over five years RA received under a deal with Foxtel, Channel 10 and BSkyB that expired last year.But it will still come as a relief to RA, which had been without a long-term broadcast partner after an ill-timed push to secure more television cash coincided with the Covid-19 crisis throwing the sporting calendar into turmoil.
The poor handling of the issue was cited as one of the reasons former chief executive Raelene Castle quit in April.RA was dealt a further financial blow in September, when Qantas Airways scrapped a long-running sponsorship deal reportedly worth Aus$5.0 million ($3.6 million) annually.
A broadcast deal will not only help RA stabilise its finances, it will also allow it to finalise negotiations on the future format of Super Rugby and, potentially, make it more attractive to private equity investors.
RA said the package still needed final approval from its partners in the southern hemisphere’s SANZAAR governing body—South Africa, New Zealand and Argentina.Under the deal, Nine will show rugby on its free-to-air television network and its Stan streaming service, which has about two million subscribers.
Most games—including the bulk of Super Rugby and home Tests for the Wallabies and other SANZAAR nations—will be behind a paywall on Stan.However, one Super Rugby AU match and the competition’s finals series will be available free-to-air on Nine, potentially bringing in a large new audience to a sport that has suffered dwindling viewer numbers in recent years.Nine said the package’s headline figure of Aus$100 million included both “cash and contra”, which is believed to include free advertising for the sport.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'