Pak tour to South Africa likely to be postponed
ISLAMABAD: Cricket South Africa (CSA) Director Cricket Graeme Smith’s statement last week that South Africa would not be in a position to host any cricket till November due to Covid-19 puts serious doubts on the Pakistan team’s tour.
Pakistan’s team was scheduled to play three World Cup 50-50 qualifying round matches plus three T20s ahead of the postponed T20 World Cup. But now the tour in late September looks highly unlikely.
“South Africa as a host country has the authority to decide on the fate of the tour. Smith’s last week statement possibly says it all. If they are not ready to host cricket, visiting teams are not in a position to force them,” a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official, when contacted, said.
CSA has already cancelled away tours to Sri Lanka and West Indies. Despite West Indies Cricket Board’s keen interest, CSA looked least interested to tour West Indies — a country not affected by Covid-19 pandemic. Majority of the South African cricketers have shown their interest in playing Indian Premier League (IPL) and even their board does not seem interested to convince players to take the West Indies tour amid the league engagements.
“The three-match series was supposed to be the first for Pakistan campaign to directly qualify for the 2023 World Cup. Obviously we wanted to kickstart the campaign but now that looks almost impossible,” the PCB official added.
If pandemic permits, there are good chances that the series against South Africa could take place in February-March 2021.
Pakistan will now start its efforts to directly qualify for the 2023 World Cup with home series against Zimbabwe. “Now Pakistan face three-pronged challenges — to host Zimbabwe in November for a limited-overs series; organise remaining four matches of the Pakistan Super League; hold the entire domestic season in a bio-secure environment. The next three months will be spent in making best arrangements for these commitments,” a PCB official said. The CSA, however, is yet to communicate to the PCB about cancellation of the tour.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'