Sao Paulo hits back at F1 cancellation
SAO PAULO: Sao Paulo’s mayor said Friday the city’s Grand Prix could have been held in safe conditions despite the coronavirus pandemic, hitting back at Formula One’s decision to cancel it.
F1 earlier announced it was scrapping this year’s races in Brazil, the United States, Canada and Mexico, overhauling its calendar in light of the havoc the pandemic is causing in the sporting world.
Sao Paulo Mayor Bruno Covas said city officials “respect” the decision, but insisted there was nothing to fear in his city.
“State and city health authorities have developed a protocol for automotive events, and there is no restriction on them being held, as long as it is without fans,” he told a news conference.
Showing the sprawling city’s infection curve, which has flattened in recent weeks, he said, “projections show the situation in November will be a lot better here than in the European countries that have Grand Prix races.”
Formula One added three races to its calendar, in Portugal, Germany and Italy, to compensate for the cancelled events.
The sport has been hit hard by the pandemic, with the season postponed just hours before the opening practice of the traditional curtain-raiser in Melbourne in March.
The season finally got under way this month with two races in Austria, before moving to Hungary last weekend.
All events so far have been behind closed doors.
Brazil has the second-largest number of infections and deaths from the new coronavirus, after the United States: more than 2.3 million and 85,000, respectively.
Sao Paulo state is the epicenter of the outbreak in Brazil, accounting for nearly a quarter of the death toll.
It will be the first time Brazil has been left off the Formula One calendar since it held its first Grand Prix in 1973.
Sao Paulo Governor Joao Doria had announced two weeks ago the race would go ahead, calling it “important for tourism.”
Mayor Covas said the city was in negotiations with organizers to renew its contract for the event from 2021, after Rio de Janeiro announced plans to build a new race track in a bid to grab away the Brazilian GP.
-
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase' -
Winter Olympics 2026: Remembering The Most Unforgettable, Heartwarming Stories -
King Charles Hands All Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Records And Files To Police: Report -
Eric Dane's Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After His Death -
Samsung Brings Perplexity AI To Galaxy S26 With ‘Hey Plex’ Voice Command