JuD chief Hafiz Saeed jailed for terror financing
Ag Agencies
LAHORE: Hafiz Saeed, the chief of outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) charity, was sentenced on Wednesday to almost six-year imprisonment in two terror financing cases by an anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Lahore.
The JuD chief and co-accused Malik Zafar Iqbal were jailed for five-and-a-half years each in two cases registered by Lahore and Gujranwala police and also ordered to pay Rs 15,000 fine. Both the sentences would run concurrently, according to the verdict announced by Justice Arshad Hussain Bhutta. The judgement had been reserved after hearing arguments of the parties last week.
Saeed’s lawyer told a foreign news agency that his client was found guilty of “being part of a banned terrorist outfit” and for “having illegal property”. “There was nothing to the case really, this was just due to pressure from the FATF,” the lawyer said. The cases against the JuD chief were led by Deputy Prosecutor General Abdul Rauf Watto. Around 23 witnesses recorded their statements in the cases.
The JuD chief, who has several cases pending against him, was arrested by Punjab’s Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) in July last year when he was travelling to Gujranwala from Lahore to appear before an ATC to seek pre-arrest bail.
It is pertinent to mention that the CTD had registered 23 cases against the leadership of JuD, Lashkar-e-Taiba and Falah-i-Insaniyat Foundation for making assets from terrorism financing.
The leaders booked in terrorism financing cases include Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, Abdul Rehman Makki, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Ameer Hamza, Muhammad Yahya Aziz, Muhammad Naeem Sh, Mohsin Bilal, Abdul Raqeeb, Dr Ahmad Daud, Dr Muhammad Ayub, Abdullah Ubaid, Muhammad Ali and Abdul Ghaffar.
The cases were registered in Lahore, Gujranwala and Multan on July 1-2, 2019 for collection of funds for terrorism financing through assets/properties made and held in the names of trusts/non profit organisations, including Al-Anfaal Trust, Dawat-ul-Irshad Trust, Maaz-Bin-Jabal Educational Trust, Al Hamd Trust and Al Madina Foundation Trust.
The firebrand cleric was declared a global terrorist by the United States and United Nations with a $10 million bounty on his head.
-
King Charles Holds Emergency Meeting After Andrew Arrest: 'Abdication Is Not Happening' -
Amazon Can Be Sued Over Sodium Nitrite Suicide Cases, US Court Rules -
'Vikings' Star Mourns Eric Dane's Death -
Patrick Dempsey Reveals Eric Dane's Condition In Final Days Before Death -
'Heartbroken' Nina Dobrev Mourns Death Of Eric Dane: 'He'll Be Deeply Missed' -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: What Happened When A Royal Was Last Tried? -
Alyssa Milano Expresses Grief Over Death Of 'Charmed' Co-star Eric Dane -
Prince William, Kate Middleton Camp Reacts To Meghan's Friend Remarks On Harry 'secret Olive Branch' -
Daniel Radcliffe Opens Up About 'The Wizard Of Oz' Offer -
Channing Tatum Reacts To UK's Action Against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Brooke Candy Announces Divorce From Kyle England After Seven Years Of Marriage -
Piers Morgan Makes Meaningful Plea To King Charles After Andrew Arrest -
Sir Elton John Details Struggle With Loss Of Vision: 'I Can't See' -
Epstein Estate To Pay $35M To Victims In Major Class Action Settlement -
Virginia Giuffre’s Brother Speaks Directly To King Charles In An Emotional Message About Andrew -
Reddit Tests AI-powered Shopping Results In Search