IOC monitoring Olympic lobbying claims, says Bach
NEW DELHI: The Olympics ethics watchdog will “monitor” developments after South Korean media said Samsung carried out illicit lobbying for Pyeongchang to be awarded this year’s Winter Games, IOC president Thomas Bach said Thursday. Samsung, a top Olympics sponsor, has denied the claims made by the SBS television network that the company offered incentives to get votes from International Olympic Committee members. Bach told a press conference during a visit to New Delhi that the allegations “have been clearly denied by Samsung, this is all that we know so far. “But I am sure that our our ethics commission will monitor the situation,” he added. SBS TV said it had obtained copies of 137 emails including messages between Samsung executives and Papa Massata Diack — the son of the scandal-tainted former International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president Lamine Diack.
The mails included one listing 27 IOC members with voting rights in the decision for the 2018 Games, which was contested by Pyeongchang, Munich in Germany and Annecy in France. The report said Papa Diack had promised to convince each of the named members to vote for Pyeongchang. In one 2010 mail Diack requested $12 million in funds — including a three-year, $9.5 million sponsorship for the IAAF’s Diamond League athletics meetings. He also asked for a “success fee”. The emails were confiscated by South Korean prosecutors last year during a graft investigation into former president Park Geun-hye, SBS said. As a top level Olympics sponsor, Samsung is not allowed to lobby for Games venue candidates.
-
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis