close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
April 18, 2018

UEFA bans Sion for two seasons

Sports

AFP
April 18, 2018

GENEVA: Swiss club FC Sion has been fined and barred from taking part in European competitions for the next two seasons after failing to pay for the transfer of a player, UEFA said Tuesday. “The club is excluded from participating in the next UEFA club competition for which it would otherwise qualify in the next two seasons,” European football’s governing body said in a statement. It added that the Swiss club had also been fined 235,000 euros ($292,000). The case involves a 950,000-euro debt FC Sion had failed to pay on time to French club Sochaux in a disputed transfer of Ghanaian player Ishmael Yartey. The amount, which had been due in March last year, was finally paid three months late, UEFA said. FC Sion was slapped for the “non-fulfilment of the club licencing criteria defined in the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations.” FC Sion, which is headed by Christian Constantin, who famously assaulted a television pundit on air last September, was eliminated this season by Lithuania’s FK Suduva during the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus