Justice Amir to head seven-member committee
News leak probe
Nawaz, Dar, Nisar, Shahbaz hold long deliberations;
committee also has one member each from ISI, MI, IB, FIA
ISLAMABAD: The government on Monday constituted an inquiry committee tasked with the probe of the Newsgate scandal. Justice (retd) Amir Raza has been named as the head of the committee, while one member each from the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Military Intelligence (MI) and Intelligence Bureau (IB) are part of the committee. Director of Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Usman Anwar has also been included in the committee. Secretary Establishment Engineer Tahir Shahbaz and Ombudsman Punjab Najam Saeed will also be a part of the committee.
In this regard, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Minister for Finance Ishaq Dar, Minister for Interior Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif held long deliberations on the issue.
It is also worth mentioning here that Justice (retd) Amir Raza Khan served as justice Lahore High Court from 1979 to 1991 and also as Advocate General, Punjab, in 1979. Currently, he is also a visiting professor of law in the Punjab University and a senior lawyer in the Supreme Court.
Last month, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif removed Information and Broadcasting meeting’s leak to media. The article, published in the English daily, Dawn, caused uproar and the journalist who wrote it was briefly hit with a travel ban. The planted story related to National Security Committee (NSC) and National Action Plan (NAP) meetings published in Dawn on October 6 was a breach of national security. Evidence available so far pointed to a lapse on part of Information Minister, who has been directed to step down from office to enable holding of an independent and detailed inquiry,” a statement by PM office said.
Later, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan had said that there was a consensus between the civilian and military leadership whoever leaked the ‘false story’ should be exposed. Briefing the media about Pervaiz Rashid’s suspension as information minister, Nisar said that on the basis of initial probe, he could say that there was no record as to who leaked the story. Nisar said Pervaiz Rashid did not make any attempt to stop news story from being published. “Pervez Rashid should have told the journalist concerned that the news is incorrect and this should not be published in the national interest… and upon resistance he could have asked, Zafar Abbas (the editor of the newspaper), not to run the story,” he said.
-
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53 -
Donald Trump Breaks Silence On Andrew’s Arrest: ‘It’s A Shame’ -
DJ Khaled Shares Weight Loss Progress -
Jennifer Aniston And Jim Curtis Share How They Handle Relationship Conflicts -
Shamed Andrew Real Birthday Plans As Cops Showed Up At Door -
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing