Widows concerned as govt moves to cap family pensions
Islamabad:The pension reforms announced by the finance minister in the federal budget 2025-26 have triggered widespread criticism from pensioners and their families, especially over the controversial decision to limit family pensions to a 10-year period following the death of a pensioner's spouse.
Previously, family pensions were disbursed for the lifetime of the deceased pensioner’s spouse. However, under the new reforms, this duration has been capped at 10 years, a move aimed at reducing the government’s long-term pension liabilities.
Moreover, the government has abolished the provision of drawing multiple pensions, a practice that had contributed to the growing fiscal burden. While the government argues that these measures are essential for streamlining pension expenditures, many retirees and their families see it as a cruel blow to their already fragile financial security.
“If a pensioner dies, and his wife is in her seventies or eighties with no other source of income, how can she survive after 10 years?" questioned a retired government servant. The sentiment is shared by many who believe the reforms overlook the economic vulnerabilities faced by elderly widows.
A widow whose husband passed away just weeks ago said her husband was the sole breadwinner. "Now I will receive a family pension only for the next ten years. After that, how am I supposed to live at the age of 70 or 80 without any income?” What will I do after that? I have no income, no savings."
She urged the government to reconsider "these inhumane reforms." Liaquat Ali, a retired officer, argued that while the intention to reduce fiscal pressure may be understandable, the execution of the policy lacked empathy and failed to provide alternative support systems for the elderly dependents of deceased pensioners.
He said that the new rules disproportionately affected elderly widows who were most vulnerable and often lacked employment opportunities, especially in the absence of a proper social safety net.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'