Brazil football federation president re-elected after Ronaldo pull-out
LONDON: The Brazilian football federation (CBF) unanimously returned Ednaldo Rodrigues to the role of president on Monday, confirming his re-election as the sole candidate after star ex-striker Ronaldo had already pulled out of the race.
Rodrigues was re-elected until 2030, thanks to the support of the 27 regional federations representing the country´s different states and the 40 clubs in the top two divisions. In a statement, the 71-year-old celebrated “the triumph of democracy”.
“In recent years, we have suffered all kinds of prejudice and persecution,” said Rodrigues, who also claimed he was the victim of a “putsch” at the end of 2023, when he was temporarily removed from his role by court order.
Rodrigues was elected CBF president in 2022, replacing Rogerio Caboclo who had been accused of moral and sexual harassment. But he returned to office in early 2024, on the orders of a Brazilian Supreme Court judge, after FIFA and the South American Confederation (CONMEBOL) threatened Brazil with sporting sanctions for government interference in CBF affairs.
His re-election on Monday was a formality, after 2002 World Cup winner Ronaldo announced on March 12 that he was giving up running for president of the country´s football governing body due to a lack of support from regional federations.
The 48-year-old had indicated in December he wanted to take the reins of the CBF to address a “deep crisis” the sport is facing nationally. Rodrigues, in his role as head of football in Brazil, has been criticised for turning to interim coaches for the national team after Tite´s departure following Brazil´s quarter-final exit at the 2022 World Cup while waiting for Carlo Ancelotti to arrive.
-
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody