Settled Szczesny paying off Barca bet as Benfica visit
BARCELONA: Barcelona hold a slender lead on Benfica ahead of their Champions League last 16 second leg clash on Tuesday and goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny deserves a fair share of the credit for it.
Pedri was named man of the match in Barca´s 1-0 win in Lisbon last Wednesday but Polish veteran Szczesny said he merited at least “half” of the trophy, and the Spaniard said his team-mate should have it.
The goalkeeper, 34, will get another chance to win one himself at the Olympic Stadium with Portuguese visitors Benfica needing to go on the attack to turn the tie around. With Barcelona down to 10 men in the first leg after Pau Cubarsi´s early red card, Szczesny made several fine saves to help the Catalans hold on after Raphinha sent them ahead.
It was his best performance since arriving at Barcelona in October on an emergency basis, after first-choice goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen suffered a severe knee injury. “He is fantastic, he helped us a lot, that is his job, we cannot hide it,” said Barca coach Hansi Flick.
Former Arsenal and Juventus stopper Szczesny came out of retirement to join the Catalan giants and has become Flick´s number one in 2025, repaying his coach for his decision to back him ahead of Inaki Pena.
In August last year he hung up his boots and gloves, agreeing to terminate his deal with Juventus, before heading to the south of Spain to enjoy his new life. “In September I was retired from football and I was enjoying my life on the beaches and golf courses of Marbella,” said Szczesny on Instagram in January, after winning the Spanish Super Cup in Saudi Arabia.
The goalkeeper was sent off in the final against Real Madrid, accepting he made a “bad decision”. Later that month he also committed two glaring errors in Barca´s thrilling 5-4 group stage win over Benfica, but in the weeks since has improved rapidly, with Flick maintaining his faith in him.
Szczesny has now played 14 times for Barcelona across all competitions, with the club winning 12 of those matches and drawing the other two, despite his early wobbles. As well as helping the team stay unbeaten, Szczesny has recorded eight clean sheets and seems settled, calmer with the ball at his feet than a few weeks ago.
Szczesny´s solid performances between the sticks have underpinned Barcelona´s revival after a dismal end to 2024. With a run of four defeats in seven league games, the Catalans threw away their advantage in La Liga, usurped by Atletico in the final match before the winter break.
Szczesny has started every Barcelona match in 2025 bar two, one of which he was suspended for after the Super Cup dismissal. Pena had started well after stepping in for the injured Ter Stegen but despite making no obvious mistakes, did not inspire full confidence in the defenders ahead of him.
Flick said watching Szczesny on a daily basis at the training ground, he began to see that the veteran stopper could perform at a higher level. “When you watch players in training, you get a feeling, I discuss it with my staff, I see how the players work and what level they can reach,” said Flick on Friday.
“It was clear to everyone that Szczesny could reach this level. We all knew it. I make the decisions, but I talk with my coaching staff.” The coach received his reward with Szczesny´s first leg display against Benfica.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'