Death toll in Swabi police station blasts rises to two
Injured were transported to local hospitals by rescue teams and volunteers
SWABI: The death toll from the blasts at the Swabi City Police Station rose to two on Friday as another victim succumbed to his injuries, according to rescue and police officials.
Mohammad Siraj, son of Aurangzeb, and an employee of the Food Department, died from injuries at a hospital. He had been present at the police station when the blasts took place. Iqtidar, a teenager, was martyred on Thursday night.
Rescue officials reported that 23 people were injured in the incident, including Tilawat Sher, Umar Khan, Adnan Khan, Riaz Khan, Mohammad Junaid, Asad Khan, Mohammad Zia, Usman Khan, Mutabar Khan, Jalal Khan, Usama Khan, Nazwali Khan, Imad Khan, Zaman Khan, Asad, Sajjad Khan, Farzand Ali, Altaf Khan, Murad Ali, Abdur Rehman, Mehar Tab, and Mubasher Khan.
The injured were transported to local hospitals by rescue teams and volunteers.
A police official said explosives weighing 600 kilograms stored in a room on the ground floor since 2014 exploded at the police station. He said it remained unclear how the fire started, but the blasts followed shortly after the fire broke out that destroyed the building.
District Police Officer Haroon Rashid said an electrical short-circuiting likely triggered the fire, which then ignited the explosives, causing massive blasts that damaged nearby offices in the district headquarters.
Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Faisal Karim Kundi visited the Bacha Khan Hospital to meet the injured.
Speaking to the media, he praised the sacrifices of the KP police in the fight against terrorism and assured the public that the government would provide assistance to the families of the martyrs.
Governor Kundi said the inspector general of police had ordered an investigation to determine the cause of the blasts.
Also, the Awami National Party (ANP) has called for a joint investigation team (JIT) to probe the cause of the explosions.
ANP former provincial general secretary Salim Khan demanded a probe into the incident as he argued it could be an act of terrorism.
-
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis -
Timothee Chalamet Admits He Was 'grumpy' Before Beau Kylie Jenner's Unexpected Move -
Hilary Duff’s Son Roasts Her Outfit In New Album Interview -
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport