Thousands rally in Swat to demand peace
Police would be empowered to encounter terrorism in province
MINGORA: Thousands of people took to the streets in Swat against lawlessness and to demand restoration of a durable peace to the scenic valley.
The protest was staged five days after a convoy of foreign envoys was targeted on Malam Jabba Road at Shrabad village in Swat district.
The protesters, including political activists, lawyers, and members of civil society, gathered at the Nishat Chowk after marching on different roads. They were chanting slogans about recent terrorist attacks and demanding the restoration of peace.
The protest was organised by the activist group, the Swat Qaumi Jirga, a local organization who work for peace in the region.
The protest was organized to condemn several incidents of terrorism that have been reported during the last few weeks in Swat, said Zahid Khan, one of the organisers of the protest.
“The protest has been organised after several attacks on local people, police officials and foreign diplomats,” he added.
Another participant in the protest and the spokesperson for the Swat Qaumi Jirga, Ahmad Shah, said the protesters wanted “justice done” and the suspects of Malam Jabba attack arrested immediately. He called for the state to ensure peace in Swat.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader and Minister for Fisheries Fazal Hakim Yousafzai said the provincial government would not allow any military operation in Swat.
The police would be empowered to encounter terrorism in the province,” he added.
“We are united against the menace of terrorism, irrespective of political and ethnic affiliation. We know how to safeguard our motherland,” said Shahid Ali Khan, the mayor of Swat.
He added that the people of Swat were against terrorism and military operations.
ANP leader Ayub Khan Ashari questioned the reported return of militants to Swat despite stiff security. He said the locals had the capacity to eradicate the menace of terrorism from the valley.
Political leader Mukhtar Khan Yousafzai alleged that the state had failed in providing security to the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa; however, he said that politicians and youth were well aware and knew their enemies.
District Bar Association President Faheem Naeem warned the district administration against lodging FIRs against the protesters and announced that free legal assistance would be provided to the victims if any case was registered against them.
In recent weeks, there have been widespread reports of a return of militants to the valley, who allegedly attacked police posts in Mingora and Malam Jabba.
Last month, the bombing at Banr police post in Mingora City claimed by the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan one cop, and injured two others. However, the TTP denied attacking the convoy of foreign diplomats who were moving to Malam Jabba in Swat on September 22.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child