King Charles III consoles imam over rioters’ ‘terrifying’ attack on Southport mosque
SOUTHPORT, United Kingdom: King Charles III offered his “deepest” sympathies on Tuesday to the imam of a mosque targeted by far-Right rioters the day after the Southport killings that the experience must have been “terrifying”.
The monarch met Ibrahim Hussein alongside emergency responders and community leaders who helped restore calm in the wake of the street violence that followed the deaths of three young girls at a dance class.
Hussein said of his conversation with the King: “He was referring to the community and how terrifying it must have been for us. How scary and terrifying it must have been for us and our mosque and our community.
“For His Majesty to take time from his heavy schedule and visit a small town such as this means a lot to us.”
The imam said of the riots: “They wanted to kill us. We were terrified obviously because the whole building was shaking. Fire bombs were thrown. It was awful, the slogans and the shouting and the chanting.”
The King also met Diane, 50, and her husband Dan, 48, whose home backs on to the community centre where the fatal attack took place, and whose 12-year-old daughter witnessed it from her bedroom.
The couple comforted the families of the victims and have continued to allow police to use their facilities as investigations continue.
Diane said: “The King said he was shocked, really shocked at what happened, and said it was kind of us to open our house. We said it was the right thing to do.”
The 75-year-old monarch inspected a vast sea of floral tributes laid outside Southport town hall in memory of the victims -- Bebe King, six, Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, and Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine.
All three died in the attack at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class in the town just over three weeks ago which also left ten people injured, eight of them children.
As well as the children, the king also met their families and police liaison officers working with them.
Buckingham Palace said he also wanted to thank “frontline emergency staff for their ongoing work serving local people”. Charles had earlier been criticised by some for not issuing a public statement on the riots.
Although the monarch conveyed his condolences to the families of the three girls killed, he did not comment on the unrest until nearly two weeks later.
Traditionally, the monarch does not comment on anything that could cause political controversy.
-
Hilary Duff’s Son Roasts Her Outfit In New Album Interview -
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
David, Victoria Beckham Gushes Over 'fiercely Loyal' Son Cruz On Special Day -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027