Lacklustre Tottenham slump to heavy defeat at Fulham
LONDON: Fulham put a sizeable dent in Tottenham Hotspur’s Premier League top-four hopes as in-form Rodrigo Muniz’s double earned them an impressive 3-0 victory at Craven Cottage on Saturday.
Tottenham would have moved above Aston Villa into fourth place in the standings with a win but, apart from a brief spell before halftime, were lackadaisical and could have no complaints.
Muniz broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute and scored again just past the hour mark to finish off Tottenham after Sasa Lukic had doubled Fulham’s lead shortly after the interval. It completed a notable home double for Fulham over Tottenham after they also knocked them out of the League Cup and was their first league win against the north Londoners in their last 10 meetings. Tottenham remain in fifth place with 53 points from 28 games while Fulham are in 12th spot with 38 points from 29 games.
A 4-0 win at Villa last week had given Tottenham momentum in the race for Champions League qualification but they came back down to earth with the sort of capitulation their fans hoped had become a thing of the past since Ange Postecoglou took charge.
“In the second half we didn’t get to grips with the game. The intensity dropped,” Postecoglou said. “Our final third play wasn’t great. But it’s more the overall play that was disappointing. There are things we’ve done all year we’ve prided ourselves on, our intensity and tempo, but that wasn’t there in the second half. “We couldn’t get any control or traction in the game.” The only surprise in a chance-packed first half was that it remained scoreless for 42 minutes. Fulham started with far more urgency than their visitors, with Andreas Pereira in the thick of the action.
He almost scored with Fulham’s first attack, his shot deflecting off Cristian Romero and fizzing wide. Soon afterwards, when Spurs keeper Guglielmo Vicario parried a low cross into his path, he again was denied by Romero’s block.
Vicario also made smart saves from Lukic and Willian before Tottenham finally began to offer some threat. Son Heung-min blazed one chance over, Brennan Johnson shot straight at Bernd Leno after a slick passing move and Radu Dragusin, making his first start for Spurs, dragged an effort well wide having found himself in a great position.
James Maddison also went close for the visitors but Fulham went ahead when Antonee Robinson’s superb low cross took out the entire Tottenham defence and Muniz’s touch was perfect before drilling his shot across Vicario and into the net.
It took only four minutes of the second half for Fulham to double their lead as Alex Iwobi fed a pass to the overlapping Timothy Castagne and his low cross was touched in by Lukic.
Tottenham were reeling and were on the canvas just past the hour mark as 22-year-old Brazilian Muniz poached his second goal of the game and seventh in his last seven, bundling in after Calvin Bassey’s shot hit the post.
-
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis