Japan’s new births fall to record low in 2023 as demographic woes deepen
first time in 90 years the number fell below 500,000
TOKYO: The number of babies born in Japan fell for an eighth straight year to a fresh record low in 2023, preliminary government data showed on Tuesday, underscoring the daunting task the country faces in trying to stem depopulation.
The number of births fell 5.1 percent from a year earlier to 758,631, while the number of marriages slid 5.9 percent to 489,281 -- the first time in 90 years the number fell below 500,000 -- foreboding a further decline in the population as out-of-wedlock births are rare in Japan.
Asked about the latest data, Japan’s top government spokesperson said the government will take “unprecedented steps” to cope with the declining birthrate, such as expanding childcare and promoting wage hikes for younger workers.
“The declining birthrate is in a critical situation,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters. “The next six years or so until 2030, when the number of young people will rapidly decline, will be the last chance to reverse the trend.”
Mindful of the potential social and economic impact, and the strains on public finances, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has called the trend the “gravest crisis our country faces”, and unveiled a range of steps to support child-bearing households late last year.
-
OpenAI Eyes Speedy IPO As Market Awaits SpaceX Filing, Source Says -
King Charles Leaning On ‘incredible Diplomat’ To Sort Family Issues -
'Power Ballad' Actor Paul Rudd Gushes Over Co-star Nick Jonas -
Anna Delvey Writing New Book Amid Ongoing Immigration Battle -
Harry Styles Receives Shocking Warning Over Zoe Kravitz Romance -
Mark Zuckerberg Reassures Employees, Says 'no Further Company-wide Layoffs' Expected This Year -
Netflix Drops Michael Jackson Docuseries Trailer As Biopic In Theatres: 'They Timed This One' -
Sheryl Crow Recalls Painful Breakup With Lance Armstrong Amid Cancer Treatment -
Mercury Reaches $5.2 Billion Valuation On AI Startup Push -
'The Boys' Creator Defends Series Amid Backlash: 'No TV Show Is Perfect' -
UK's NCA Issues Statement After £7m Cocaine Found In Kim Kardashian Brand Shipment -
Trump Mobile Accused Of Leaking Customers Data -
Ed Kelce Dragged Into Controversy Ahead Of Taylor Swift And Travis Kelce Wedding -
UK Parliamentary Election Set For June 18 As Major Leadership Change Looms -
'Godfather' Star Andy Garcia Explains His Motivation Behind Long-delayed, New Project 'Diamond' -
King Charles Makes Emotional Visit To Newcastle Community Heroes